If you’re a girl on the go, you’re probably familiar with the magical mystical “bathroom tornado”. It comes through scattering everything everywhere, leaving no bobbypin unturned. No one knows how it happens, but it’s a huge bummer when you return home from a long day to find this natural disaster has struck your bathroom counter once again. Luckily there’s a way to keep your hair stuff (or makeup brushes) all together in one super chic place. These holders are made from Mason jars which are incredibly cheap and easy to find. Below are instructions for turning these regular old jars into counter top eye candy…
You will need: blue painter’s tape, paper towels, gloves, white flat spray paint, gold metallic spray paint, mason jars in various sizes… (and I used a vintage shot glass for the bobbypin holder, but that’s optional.)
- Remove the lids from your mason jars.
- Put painter’s tape along the edge of a paper towel or two.
- Wrap the jar. For the first color, I wrapped the tape straight across as you can see in photo 3.
- Tuck the excess paper towel inside the jar so no spray paint gets inside.
- Put your gloves on, go outside, put a piece of newspaper or cardboard down and spray your jar. I applied very thin layers of paint instead of one thick layer. It dries faster, won’t drip and gets better coverage.
- Remove the blue tape and paper towel after the first color dries completely.
- If you’re sure the first color is dry, wrap the jar with the tape + paper towel again, but this time in another direction. I wanted to do mine diagonal.
- Put your gloves back on and go back outside. Spray the second color and wait for it to dry. I LOVE the matte white with the shiny gold combo but you can use any color that you think will look good in your bathroom. Remove the tape when it’s dry and you’re done!