photos + post: Kristin Ess
Golly gee, we love very vintage-inspired ponytail. This is what I like to call the “Barbie Pony” when talking to a client. It’s got a part, a little volume + some soft bouncy curls. This particular version is a very wearable one. If you want to get a little more dramatic, you’re welcome to put as much volume and curl as you want! There are a LOT of steps in this tutorial, but that’s only because we wanted to be as detailed as possible. Alright, here we go…
- Start with clean dry hair. If your hair isn’t perfectly clean, give it a little shot of dry shampoo! You can do a side part or a center part– which ever you feel is more flattering to your face shape.
- Make a diagonal section starting at your part and going down in front of your ear.
- You can see exactly where we parted here…
- and here. Now clip the hair from the front section up and save that for later.
- Give the hair a nice tease on top in your “crown area”.
- Smooth over the teased hair using the finer side of the comb so it doesn’t appear too ratty. At this point you can give the top a little spray if you want to!
- Now, put all the hair in the back into a nice, high, secure ponytail. It’s okay if you end up flattening out the teased bump a little bit because…
- You can use a tail comb to pull it back up. As long as there’s teased hair under there, you can get that volume back.
- Next we take out the front section. Take one side and drape it over the ponytail holder. Use a little spray to hold it in place if you need to.
- Use small bobby pins to secure the pieces you’re wrapping around the ponytail holder.
- Repeat the same thing on the other side. If hair falls out of this section or doesn’t reach, you can just let it fall and/or tuck it behind your ear.
- Curl all of the hair in the ponytail. I like to curl everything in the same direction on each side so that you get a pattern going, but you can definitely make a more messy curl if you’d rather.
- It’s completely up to you whether you brush the ponytail curls out or not. I personally like t0 brush them because the ponytail gets fuller and more bouncy.
- Check the back using a hand mirror and make sure it looks balanced. Give it a final veil of strong holding hairspray.
Good luck dolls!