Every year I look forward to the MET Ball, even more than the Oscars! It marries fashion with red carpet glamour and is themed, so it’s always fascinating to see how each designer and makeup artist will interpret it. This year’s Ex-Machina theme did not disappoint, with tons of metallics and robotic, futuristic gowns… it was pure eye candy! I especially loved the makeup my colleague Jillian Dempsey did on Kristen Stewart and thought it’s the perfect look for a red carpet translation. Here’s how to pull it off the next time you head out to a club or music festival:
- A Metallic Silver Shadow — I used this foiled shadow ($$) and wet my brush first to make more of a paste. I’ve also done a similar effect with a wet brush and the colors in this luxury palette ($$$). You can also use this budget-friendly eye paint ($).
- A Small Contour Eye Brush — I love using this petit contour brush ($$) for detail work like this.
- Pointed Q-tip
- A Black Kohl or Kajal Pencil — I always use this pure color pencil ($$) because of its insane intensity.
- Your Favorite Mascara — Magali used this one ($$) because it really separates and lengthens the lashes.
- Wet the contour brush, swirl it in the shadow to make a paste and start the outline of the rectangle. You can take it as long as your brow or as short as the end of your eye.
- Fill it in.
- Perfect the angles and lines with the pointed Q-tip.
- Rim the inner waterline with the black pencil.
- Add a couple coats of mascara.