Last week we asked you whether you preferred a traditional french manicure with white tips or a new take on the classic style. To say the results were close is an understatement. Over 25,000 of you voted and the traditional french manicure won by only 7 votes! So as promised, here are step-by-step instructions on how you can achieve this lovely look at home.
sheer pale pink polish
clear top coat
small paint brush
nail polish remover
Don’t be frustrated if this doesn’t turn out flawless on your first attempt. It can be a little tricky, so just have fun with it and practice!
1. Start with clean, bare nails that have been filed.
2. Using the white polish, paint the ends of your nails slightly thicker than you would like the white tips to be. Don’t worry about being too exact. Depending on the polish you may need to apply 2 coats to achieve solid white tips.
3. Let the whites air dry for a few minutes before starting the next step.
4. Dip your paint brush in nail polish remover and drag it along the inside of the white strip you have painted. Remember to mimic the shape of your nail with a slight curve. You will have to repeat this several times to get a smooth line. Slowly thin the line out until it is the width you like. Continue this on each nail, trying to keep the width of the white tip consistent. Note: Even with a lot of practice, your right hand can be difficult to do (or your left hand if you are left handed). This step might require a little help from a friend. Manicure party!
4. Once you are satisfied with your tips, apply one coat of pale pink polish over the entire nail. It is best to use a more sheer polish for a more natural look.
5. Add a clear top coat and your done!
Let us know how it goes! We love getting your pictures. Also, if you want to have a little more fun with this manicure, you can swap out the white polish for any color you like. This week I tried both sage green tips and navy blue tips and loved them.