This quick tip might seem trivial, but most of my friends don’t take the time to do it and it kills me! It only takes a few seconds and does so much. Lip liners are amazing because you can cheat the shape and size a little (revisit my Lip Cheat Tutorial here) and they really finish the look by giving the perimeter defined edges that you can’t create with most lipsticks or tinted balms. But we don’t want anyone to see the line glaring from across the room! You’re already in your bathroom, your cotton swabs are just hanging out in their container on the counter… so just grab one and try this!
- Your Favorite Lip Liner — choose a longwear one that glides on but stays put like this favorite ($$) in Streak or this one ($) in Blush.
- A Matching Or Slightly Lighter Lipstick Shade — pick one in the same shade or slightly lighter in a satin, shiny, sheer or metallic finish, but not matte. Lexie is wearing this shiny one ($$$) in Insidious. Or try this budget-friendly one ($) in Decadent Peach (on sale!).
- Line the perimeter. Cheat the shape a little if you feel like it, just know where to draw the line. (Pun intended!)
- Fill in the “inside” area with a lipstick that is the same shade or slightly lighter. Slightly go over the liner.
- Now go back and quickly buff the line with a cotton swab so it’s blended but still has its sharp edges.