Last week I posted a tutorial on a traditional french manicure, but this week I wanted to do something a little different. Here is something a bit edgier… a half moon manicure. I have been seeing these on both the runways and in editorial spreads. Instead of highlighting the tips of your nail, like a french manicure, this one focuses on the moons of your nails (the half circle on the base of your nail). I love this technique when it’s done with two complimentary colors, but didn’t know how to do it myself. I did a little research and found the answer lied in the most under-used item on my “school supplies” list. Remember those white reinforcement stickers used to fix a tear on 3 ring binder paper? If not, it’s probably because, like me, you never used them… but now you can! And here’s how…
Silver metallic or glitter polish
10 reinforcement stickers
Clear top coat
1. Start with clean, bare nails that have been filed.
2. Apply 1 to 2 coats of the silver polish (depending on the coverage of the polish). Be sure to paint your whole nail. If the color ends up showing through the navy polish it will just add a little sparkle, but it is important to have a smooth first layer. Let the polish dry for at least 30 minutes. It is important your nails are dry before placing the reinforcement stickers on them or else the stickers will peel off the polish and you will have to start all over again. Oh no!
3. Once nails are completely dry, place a reinforcement sticker on each nail with the outside of the sticker mimicking the shape of the moon of your nail. Cutting a slit in each sticker will allow the stickers lay more evenly on each nail. You can decide what size you would like the moons to be, but it is important that the size stay consistent across all your nails for it to look right. Once they are all placed where you would like them, apply pressure to each making sure they are secure to your nail.
4. Now paint the top half or your nail with 2 coats of navy blue polish. Let this coat dry for at least 10 mins.
5. Once that’s dry, carefully pull the reinforcement stickers off of each nail.
6. Finish with a clear top coat.
Hope they turn out great! Don’t be afraid to try out different color combinations. Just remember to use the lighter shade for the moon of your nail. And as always, send us pictures!