So, it’s post-dinner and about that time where the sweet cravings kick into high gear. The Ben & Jerry’s carton is basically knocking down the freezer door trying to make its way into your bowl. Want to go for a dessert that’s just as delicious and packed with healthy, beautifying goodies? Peep our chia seed pudding complete with yummy accessories! Something magical happens when you mix chia seeds with almond milk…you’re are left with a delicious pudding that you can sweeten with honey and vanilla and add healthy toppings. The best part? It is sans sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial ingredients and all the other junk found in the pre-packaged stuff. J-E-L-L-NO. Here’s how you make it!
Curious to know the beauty benefits? Let’s break this down…
1. Chia Seeds: You’ve seen our love for this superfood during snack time, but in this sweet treat they are the star ingredient. Just one of the many benefits of chia seeds, they have a high concentrate of vegetarian omega 3 fatty acids. A diet rich in omega 3s can aid in nourishing hair follicles which will combat brittle ends as well as a dry scalp. Hello lustrous locks! Studies also show that these essential fatty acids can reduce acne and inflammation, boosting the skins natural glow. And we are ALL about that.
2. Coconut: This ingredient is buzzing in the beauty world these days. Coconut oil and coconut water are incorporated into all sorts of beauty regimes. The same benefits occur when munching on some raw coconut! And we think eating this tasty little gem is more fun than topical application. Duh. Raw, unrefined coconut contains antioxidant properties that can help slow the aging process by protecting our bodies from free radicals (one of the main causes of tired/aging skin). Not to mention it’s filled with electrolytes that can keep you nice and hydrated. We all know that hydration is the greatest beauty secret of all!
3. Almond milk: This super delicious dairy alternative is a major source of protein. Protein, being essential to the body’s growth and development, helps with…you guessed it…hair and nail growth! Want longer, stronger hair + nails? A protein rich diet will do just that. Almond milk is also packed with vitamin E. Remember those pesky free radicals we discussed? Well, getting your daily dose of vitamin E helps to fight off premature aging. Pour us another!
4. Pistachios: We are nuts for these. (See what we did there?) Not only are pistachios super yummy and fun to crack open, they are packed with vitamin B6. Among the long list of B6 benefits, hormonal balance is one of them. Do you ever get annoying breakouts around…ahem…that time of the month? That is most likely due to a hormone imbalance. Studies show that women who have high levels of vitamin B6 are less likely to breakout during that time. Crack on to clear skin!
5. Carob chips: Choco-holics, this little number goes out to you! As a healthier alternative to chocolate, carob tastes just as sweet but with some souped-up health benefits to boot! The biomolecules in carob can bind to inactive toxins and inhibit the growth of bacteria. Sounds super science-y but its really simple. It gets rid of the junk! A body free of toxins/bacteria glows from he inside out!
6. Honey: The sweetest of them all! We’ve raved about this ingredient in the past due to its countless beautifying properties. But let’s be honest, it tastes so good that the benefits are just bonus points!
7. Vanilla: Ok, we are talking PURE vanilla extract, or better yet a vanilla bean/pod. None of the imitation stuff if you can help it! Vanilla, in our opinion, is the perfect ingredient to add full flavor to any dessert/treat and a little goes a long way! In keeping with the theme of antioxidant rich foods, vanilla is no different. The antioxidants found in natural vanilla can fight off oxidative stress which can lead to premature aging. Case in point, bring on the antioxidants!
8. Bananas: It’s no secret that bananas are packed with potassium, as we all learned in 6th grade science class! Even though that’s a well known fact, potassium is one of the most common deficiencies. More reason to un-peel and chow! Not to mention, this mineral is a key player in skin hydration. It maintains electrolyte balance and internal fluids keeping skin cells hydrated and skin internally moisturized…something your body butters and facial hydrators won’t do!
We also happen to think this is the perfect treat to make during your next girls night in and share with your besties. If you decide to give this recipe a go, snap a pic and tag us on insta! @thebeautydept