Why not make some magic happen while you sleep? A lot of people ask me why my hair is so shiny with all the heat styling that I do. I usually credit my in-salon gloss that I do between colors and my favorite leave-in conditioner that I swear brings mega shine, BUT… let’s not discount the power of my secret weapon that I often forget to mention. Once a month or so (sometimes more if I’ve been hard on my hair) I bust out the big guns– the overnight treatments. I’ve these treatments for a long time. I discovered them back when I was blonde about 10 years ago and needed serious protein infusion for my weakened hair. I’ve tried quite a few and I love different ones for different reasons. Thought it would be good to share these with some of you looking for intense repair. Apply a liberal amount from middle to ends of your hair, throw it in a bun and get some sleep! Shampoo in the morning, style as usual.
- Caviar Anti-Aging Treatment for hair: This is a damage-fighting leave-in treatment that penetrates deeply and absorbs instantly for a full night of hair restoration. Safe for color treated hair. This system is proven to improve hair damage by 44%. 3.4 oz. For dry, aging hair.
- Kerite: This one has a very lightweight texture. It melts into the hair and can be left in the next day or shampooed out if needed. Hair is left stronger, softer and more manageable. This one is wonderful for weakened hair caused from bleaching!
- Overnight Miracle: This affordable alternative goes to work while you’re asleep to renew and fortify damaged hair. It targets damaged strands with its weightless, non-sticky formula, ensuring that your pillow stays clean while your hair becomes soft, shiny, and smooth.
- Pro-Mend: In one use, it binds 94% of split ends back together and dramatically strengthens against future splits. This is great for anyone looking to skip a haircut whether you’re trying to grow your hair out or just can’t prioritize a salon visit in your budget.
- Herbal Coconut Oil: Long before the modern day cream conditioner was born, coconut oil was applied to the hair prior to cleaning to moisturize, detangle, and emulsify dirt for easy removal. This is a great natural alternative, and coconut oil is always a good idea! Great for dry hair, not great for light blondes as it can tend to yellow the color a little.
- Secret de nuit: I love this one for moisture particularly. When my hair just feels dry all over, I apply a good amount of this and go to sleep. I wake up, shower, shampoo, condition and it’s like that dryness never happened.
- Over Night Hair Repair: this one is a gel product based with pure water. It’s designed to build the elasticity and strengthen hair but I think this one really gives it a gorgeous shine. Almost at-home c0lorgloss-like.
- Magic Elixir: this is pumped with oils and mineral and vitamins, oh my! This one is a good idea for anyone whether your hair is damaged or not. Even if you just want to spoil yourself and put some good good into your hair, this is the lightweight magic for you. I also love this one for when I get dry scalp! You can do an overnight treatment on your scalp just the same, just make sure to protect your pillow!
- L’Huile de Palme: This one can actually be used in many ways and overnight application is just one. You can also use this to protect your hair in the pool or from the sun. Great to have around in the summer! This is oil and vitamin based so you’re getting protection, nutrition and shine in this one.
When you look at your bathroom or vanity counters (or your desk for that matter) and see everything perfectly organized, don’t you feel more productive and more inspired than usual? Even if it only lasts a week or two or three! Every year, I take a quick pause during the last weeks of December to organize, take inventory and give things away from my personal stash to friends I know who would want them. It’s a nice feeling on many levels and gets me just a little more pumped about starting the new year. The last week of the year is when I like to bust out these holiday gift cards and take a trip to organization nation. Target, Amazon, Bed Bath + Beyond, and the Container Store are my personal faves for finding good organization tools– particularly for beauty! Below are 44 very helpful get your stuff together in 2015! Click the names for the links! (I couldn’t find a link to the one above but it’s from Target and it was about $14.)
I love countertop pieces because you can load them up and move them. I have a vanity in my bedroom next to a big window where I like to do my makeup if I have time. But if I’m in a rush, I do it in the bathroom where I do the rest of my beauty routine. Moving it back and forth is much easier when it’s all loaded into one or two of these organizers.
- LIPSTICK + LIP PENCIL CUBE $13
- 12 SECTION LIPSTICK RISER $5
- 12″ CATCH-ALL ORGANIZER $12
- MAKEUP BRUSH HOLDER $13
- 3-SECTION VANITY CATCH-ALL $12
- MAKEUP ORGANIZER WITH TISSUE HOLDER $18
- MAKEUP ORGANIZER + SLIDING DRAWER $9
- POP OF COLOR ORGANIZER $15
- COTTON SWAB + COTTON BALL HOLDER $9
- EXPANDABLE MAKEUP ORGANIZER $15
- 12 SECTION NAIL POLISH RISER $
- FLIP TOP BATHROOM ORGANIZER $45
Clear sliding drawers are awesome for pretty much anything. I keep the majority of my jewelry in these because I don’t like my metals to oxidize as much and I’m a lot less likely to lose pieces. Sliding drawers are also good for lipsticks because you can easily group them by shades. I also am obsessed with the one for sunglasses!
- SUNGLASS DRAWERS $20
- 3 DRAWER ORGANIZER $15
- CLEAR STACKING BOXES $30
- BEAUTY STATION $150
- 3 DRAWER LINED BOX (WIDE) $20
- 3 DRAWER LINED BOX (NARROW) $22
- NARROW 4 DRAWERS $18
- 6 DRAWER ORGANIZER $60
If you’re working with a small space, you need every inch you can get. Grab one or two corner units to maximize on that space. Also stackers are awesome because they’re like little tiny bleachers for your bottles. As they stack up gradually, you can see labels and colors. I love to use things that were intended for the kitchen to organize my products. Always check the kitchen section!
- CORNER ORGANIZER $10
- NAIL POLISH STACKER $10
- CORNER ORGANIZER WITH HALF MOON MIRROR $20
- ACRYLIC RISER $8
- ROUNDED CORNER RISER $13
- 40 BOTTLE NAIL POLISH RISER $18
- 3 TIERED RISER $10
- CLEAR CORNER SHELF $13
Some peeps don’t like to see everything through clear containers, and that’s fine! Or maybe you have a white bathroom and want your beauty storage to match or give contrast. Here are lots of the same items in white!
- 3 DRAWER ORGANIZER $18
- BEAUTY CADDY + DRAWER $11
- SPINNING COSMETIC ORGANIZER $30
- HIGH RISE ORGANIZER $9
- VANITY ORGANIZER $12
- NARROW 4 DRAWER ORGANIZER $21
- WIDE DOUBLE DRAWER $20
It’s just as important to organize the things you can’t see and you’re a lot less likely to lose things if they have a specific home. Here are some of my favorites for under the counter and in the drawer! I love using a lazy susan in my lower cabinets so I can just spin it versus getting down low on your knees and knocking every single product over on your mission to find that one.
- COTTON SWAB HOLDER $4
- IN-DRAWER ORGANIZERS $5
- 20 SECTION DRAWER DIVIDER $5
- 12” X 12” DRAWER DIVIDER $12
- 5 SECTION TOTE $20
- BLOWDRYER HOLDER + ORGANIZER $15
- LAZY SUSAN $7
- WIRE BLOWDRYER + THERMAL TOOL HOLDER $20
- UNDER-CABINET BLOWDRYER + ACCESSORIES HOLDER $20
PHOTOS/POST: KRISTIN ESS
Jewelry isn’t typically in our wheelhouse but all this shopping has us feeling very inspired! And if something sparkly on the ear makes your pulled back ponytail look even more chic, then it’s our beauty duty to tell you about it. These gems are called ear jackets. Some come with one (meant to be worn with a stud on the other side) and some come as a pair. Maybe you’ve heard of them, maybe you haven’t. They’re basically an accessory that attaches to the back of your earring and dangles below your earlobe, adding a very cool-girl vibe to your look. Some are spiky, some rounded and some come in shapes. We have gathered up our favorites, so whether you’re spending a hundred or a couple dollars, there’s something in here for you!
- CAIRO EAR JACKET
- LOVE EAR JACKET
- ASTRAL EARRINGS WITH STAR JACKET
- MOLLY EAR JACKETS
- CROWN EAR JACKET
- LOVE EAR JACKETS
- JEWEL SWING JACKETS
- HERIKER CRYSTAL STUD JACKET
- CRESCENT SHIMMER EAR JACKET
- TESSIE CRYSTAL EARRING JACKET
- SMALL LEAF EAR JACKET
- PEARL ARC EAR JACKETS
- SHIMMER EAR JACKET
- SKANDZA TURQUOISE EAR JACKETS
- EAR JACKETS + 3 STUD SETS
PHOTOS/POST: KRISTIN ESS
If you’re planning on getting glam for any remaining holiday parties, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve combed through tons of our hair tutorials and selected 12 hairstyles that will keep you all aglow! Links to each are available below!
- FAKING A BLOWOUT: This one is great for pretty much any hair type. If you want to wear your hair down and polished looking, this one’s for you!
- BRAIDED CHIGNON: As long as you know how to do a dutch/inside-out french braid, this is easy. This hairstyle always gets lots of attention and you’ll likely be telling everyone how you did it all night.
- SIMPLE FRENCH TWIST… WITH A TWIST: This is do-able on long or short hair. This tutorial was done on collar bone length hair so don’t fret! Click on the link to see how to secure shorter lengths in an updo.
- SHORT HAIR HALF UP: I loooove this half updo for shorter hair. Mostly because you can add any gorgeous accessory to the back.
- THE INFINITY BUN: This quickly became a favorite around here. I just made this up out of no where a while ago and have now used it so many times. It’s a great way to get a more voluminous bun.
- THE BRAID-Y BUNCH: An oldie but a very goodie!
- SHORT HAIR CHIGNON: This was done on very fine, short hair and it’s honestly easier on finer hair. It’s a bit difficult to do on short thick hair because you have to be able to tuck the ends into each other before pinning. The thicker it is, the harder it can be to conceal the ends and make them blend in.
- ROPE BRAID BUN: So romantic, so chic. Perfect for a holiday date… a holi-date!
- FRENCH FISHTAIL BRAID: Calling all cool girls. This braid has a casual vibe but also shows that you put a bit of effort into your look.
- NATURAL TEXTURE CHIGNON: So much volume to work with when it comes to natural hair! This perfectly full twist/bun combo would look stunning with almost any dress, to be honest.
- VOLUMINOUS PONYTAIL: Speaking of volume. Learn the trick to this big ol’ pony right here!
- WILD WAVES: Get better, longer lasting waves for your holiday party and get them easily by adding this one little trick to your regimen!