We’ve refreshed our brush kit and have included a few newest and latest must haves!
1. THE DENMAN PADDLE BRUSH– You can detangle with it, blow dry with it, massage your head with it, and tease hair with it. It doesn’t pull or scratch because of its perfectly rounded nylon pin-bristles, it doesn’t cause static, and is padded with an air cushion. On a daily basis, I use it to blow my hair out quickly before I curl it with a curling iron.
2 . MOROCCAN OIL BRUSHES– This brush acts as a curling iron when it heats up. Most people use this when they want a little bend on their ends without using a curling iron. It has a hollow core which allows air to flow through. In other words, your hair is being dried from the inside as well as the outside, and that speeds up drying time. This brush is not my particular favorite because they often scratch the scalp and if you don’t move fast enough, there can be too much heat between your blow dryer and the metal of the brush.
3. MARTINO BY MARTIONO CARTIER ROUND BRUSH WITH TOURMALINE – Need an quick efficient blow-dry? This Brush allows for a speedy blow-dry and is built to lock in moisture and cut frizz.
4. IBIZA ROUND BRUSHES– These are my favorite round brushes for home use. They’re gentle enough to give into a tangle, but strong enough to get tension for smoothing out waves. This brush is packed with the perfect amount of bristles, making it much easier to manage the hair while styling. The benefits of this brush create a smooth and shiny look that can last you a couple day!
5. DENMAN THERMO CERAMIC -This is like #2 and #4 mixed together. Since this brush has both boar bristles and nylon bristles you have more control over the hair than you do with a regular metal core brush. The boar hair bristles also help prevent excessive contact between the hair and the metal. This is a rather versatile round brush. It can be used to create smooth straight hair or hair with lots of body.
6. SPORNETTE – “PORCUPINE” G36 -This is my all time favorite brush for bangs. Its an important, very affordable staple piece that’s good to always have on you if you are in need of controlling untamable bangs.
7. THE MASON PEARSON – This brush is considered the “ultimate grooming” brush. It is extremely gentle and nourishing on the hair and scalp. Although it is a bit pricy, it has its benefits!
8. PRORASO SHAVE BRUSH – All though The Proraso Shave Brush is generally used for a clean shave, I like to use it to tuck away remaining fly-a-ways on up-do’s. The Trick here is to mist the brush with a strong hold hair spray and gently brush down any excess hair.
9. WET BRUSH – The ” Life Saver” of all brushes . I love to prep all hair types with this brush! It truly can detangle any type of hair wet or dry. What makes this brush so great is its ability to work through all tangles because of its intelliflex bristles.
10. WET BRUSH TRAVEL SIZE – The “Mini Life Saver” because I love to use the Wet Brush so much Its a must to have one on the go. I use it to freshen up my hair or detangle any unwanted knots that happen through out the day. Its the perfect travel size companion and can help tremendously detangling and prepping all hair types!
11. IBIZA OC BRUSH SERIES– Brushes for everyone! Fine, Medium, Course, this brush is an amazing tool that helps prevent the brush from tugging, pulling or breaking the hair.
12. HAIR BRUSH CLEANER – This handy tool is a must have! It helps remove all excess hair and will preserve your tools!
Lots and lots of wand questions lately, both online and in person. Many people ask the same two questions: A) should I get a wand? And if so, B) which wand? We’re here to sort that. We’ve talked about wands and used them in tons of tutorials. (OMG remember when we did the “5 WAYS TO WAND” post?) I personally think everyone should have one no matter how long, short, thick, thin, curly or straight your hair is. Below is a list of 11 wands (and one glove). Find the one that works with your hair/lifestyle and click the link to get the goods. Here we go…
- ENZO MILANO 1″ CURLING WAND. This one is in my kit always. It’s one of my two go-to wands (the other is number 9!) because I feel like it’s the most well-rounded and I’ve had success using it on pretty much all hair types. It works quickly and I don’t feel like I have to go over the hair multiple times. This is particularly great news for those of you with super thick or coarse hair who feel like wanding takes alllllllll day.
- SEPHORA 1″ CURLING WAND. The only major difference between this one and the one I mentioned above is this one has a smoother feel. Some people prefer a shiny metal barrel to a matte metal barrel because of the way the hair slides on and off the wand. Small difference but big to some.
- KISS 1/2″ CURLING WAND. I am obsesssssssed with tiny curling wands. They make it so easy to refine any unruly curls while letting naturally curly hair just be. This is a must-have for my curly girls who don’t have time to re-wet and wait. If you’re running late and one little section went rogue from sleeping, you can do a quick 5 min touch up to pull it all together. Great for a curly girl on the go!
- T3 INTER-CHANGEABLE WAND. This new wand is pretty amazing. I find that this one actually helps with frizz– as in after you wave, then mess it up, it doesn’t get frizzy. It’s a heavy duty professional tool. I wouldn’t put this in the hands of someone with no experience. I’d say this is more for a beauty blogger or professional hairstylist. It’s weighty and your arms might get tired when using it on yourself, but it sure is bad ass.
- BABYLISS CONICAL WAND (MADE FOR THE UK). My UK girls! Hiiiiiii! I take this wand when I travel for work. I love it and wish they made the same one for the US. This one heats up quickly and evenly, and it’s sleek and black and très chic.
- SALLY BEAUTY CURLING IRON WITH REMOVABLE CLIP. This is a pretty cool tool for someone who uses both the curling iron and a wand but doesn’t want to have both irons taking up space. Good for the Marie Kondo fans (props to anyone who gets that reference!)
- CHI CHANGEABLE WAND SET. This one’s for the girl with the ever-changing looks! If you like to experiment with your hairstyles, you’ll want to play with different sized barrels. This one comes with 3 wand sizes so you don’t have to commit to just one. It’s a little more pricey but worth it to not buy 3 separate irons, right?
- HOT TOOLS CLIPLESS CURLING IRON. As we know, I’m a diehard Hot Tools fan through and through. This is one of my favorites to have around because it’s the same size as the curling iron I use the most, which is the 1 1/4″, this just comes without the clamp. The feel of this wand is so similar to the feel of my Hot Tools curling irons so it’s just comfortable and easy to use. It also comes with the safety tip at the end so you don’t burn yourself.
- TIGI BED HEAD SPLIT PERSONALITY WAND. I’ve used this on TBD many times. (this is the one from the “5 WAYS TO WAND” post, they just changed the handle). The whole Tigi Bed Head wand collection is my jam because it curls and holds even in super-fine and super straight hair that doesn’t like to stay curled.
- TIGI BED HEAD 1″ CONICAL WAND. This is almost the exact same as number 9 but it has the safety tip in case you have a habit of grabbing the end of a curling iron.
- TIGI BED HEAD 1″ STRAIGHT WAND. This one is very similar as well but has a straight barrel instead of the conical shape (aka: tapered shape). Love it because, again, it curls even the finest/straightest hair that doesn’t like to be curled. It also has the safety tip which is good for new wand users.
- HEAT RESISTANT GLOVE. Speaking of new wand users… DON’T forget your glove! If you haven’t got a ton of wand experience, or if you’re thinking about switching from a curling iron to a wand for the first time, buy one of these IF your wand doesn’t come with it or if you’ve lost your original one! Most wands do come with a glove, but just in case, here’s a link.
Who here has ever used a wand? Incorporated a wand to their routine? Switched from a curling iron to a wand completely? Would love to hear your experiences and the differences you find between curling and wanding. Most people tell me it’s easier for them to use a wand. Thoughts?
It feels like every time you walk down the hair aisle at your favorite store, there’s something epic and new, doesn’t it? As a stylist, I think that’s cool, as I’m very into mixing hair and technology. Hair products are always evolving and styling products in particular are constantly one-upping themselves. Never in a million did I think I’d see the day when alcohol-free aerosol hairspray would be a thing. Last month, Pantene introduced just that. It’s called AIRSPRAY and it’s the first alcohol-free aerosol styling product on the market. Needless to say we had to try it to see what it could actually do. We did our own kind of experiment– three-styles-in-two-days kind of experiment. Here’s how that went down…
- First things first, we gave it the undone wave test. This hair was airdried without product, and then we did some loose waves using a 1 1/4″ barrel, then sprayed with THIS HAIRSPRAY. We scrunched it in and loosely broke up the waves using just our fingers, no brush.
- As you can clearly see, separation was good and waves became a bit fuller. The hair didn’t feel product-y at all, but did take a teeny bit longer to evaporate (obvs because there’s no alcohol) but we were down to wait.
- Happy to report that after spraying one light veil all over, the hair was still soft to the touch.
- Our next mane move happens that same day. Sunday evening dinner with girlfranz. The cool thing about AIRSPRAY is that you can layer it without the hair starting to feel “crunchy” or dry.
- We created a single cornrow down the center of the hair. Once you get to the nape of the neck, tie it off with a clear elastic. (Grab a friend who can braid if you can’t do this part yourself.)
- Next, join the sides together in a low ponytail and bind it all together using another elastic. Your waves may or may not need another light layer of spray! We did! Still touchable and soft, btw.
- Use your tail comb to smooth down any flyaway hairs around your face.
- Here’s how this looks from the front. I know you want to know! I was very curious about how it would look from the front when we started this. You can hardly see anything which is rad because when you turn around it’s like OH HAIIIII!
- Okay, now let’s say you have a really long night for one reason or another, ya know? And let’s say Monday morning you have to pull yourself together for work kind of early. Good news is, you can still keep working with this look and you don’t have to wash your hair. YAAAAAY!
- Take the outside rubberband out but not the second one. Keep the braid in place.
- Take a smoothing brush, spray a little more of that AIRSPRAY goodness on the brush. Now smooth the hair back into a sleek low pony and secure it with an elastic.
- Add a light mist of spray on to the ponytail and twist.
- Coil that sleek pony into a bun and secure. Once you’ve done that, you can smooth out any fly-aways using a little more spray.
It’s pretty cool that you can keep on keepin’ on with an alcohol-free AIRSPRAY without the fear of major dryness. If you end up trying it or if you already have, tell us what you think! Were you able to layer it? Brush it? Re-style with it? You can also review it on Pantene.com.
Hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. Which of these 3 looks is your favorite? Considering it’s Valentine’s (0r) Gal-entine’s Day weekend, this could come in extra handy if you have to work on Monday morning, AMIRIGHT?