TUTORIAL + PHOTOGRAPHY BY AMY NADINE, GRAPHIC DESIGN BY EUNICE CHUN
I’ve always recommended keeping two spoons in the freezer to have on hand for an important date so you can place them under your eyes to help bring your puffy “bags” down. I also know that a lot of pageant contestants use Preparation H to bring the swelling of the puffy bags down, but I’ve never tried that and could never imagine buying it at the store, even though I’m sure it works great! You’ve also seen my Sleeping Technique Tutorial to help drain while you’re sleeping. Today, we’re sharing another way that will help bring down the bags, passed on to me by my dear friend and celebrity stylist Ilaria Urbinati!
It combines the cooling power of the spoons with the moisturizing power of your favorite eye cream! It might seem silly but don’t be so quick to dismiss. Try it on one eye and do your own experiment! For a traditional cream, apply it as demonstrated above by dotting NOT directly on your crow’s feet or lashlines but a few millimeters below so it doesn’t creep into your eyes, irritate them and cause more puffiness and swelling. Then pat it in. If you’re using one with an applicator tip, roll it back and forth in the same area above and really feel the cold tightening everything. Then pat in any excess with your finger if you’re applying makeup right away, otherwise, let it soak in on its own if you have a little more time. Yes, it’s not the most convenient place to keep eye cream, but what I do is when I go in the kitchen in the morning to feed the dogs, I grab my eye cream from the fridge and apply it right then and there!
TBD FAVORITE EYE CREAMS:
For those of us on a budget, this one with its tri-ball roller is my favorite drug store find!
TUTORIAL + PHOTOGRAPHY BY AMY NADINE, GRAPHIC DESIGN BY EUNICE CHUN
Every season I try to create one tutorial with a pretty and simple way to reflect the season with your makeup! This Spring, bring your lids to life with this totally wearable metallic silver shadow and pair it with this happy cheek and soft coral lip pop. Here’s how:
- Wet the lid brush in water and dip it in the silver shadow to create a paste. Sweep it across the lid and crease to create a single color wash.
- Wet the eyeliner brush in water and dip it in the brown shadow to create a paste. Trace it along the upper lashline as demonstrated on Brooke above. You can also wing it out and up if you prefer elongating your eye.
- Add a couple coats of mascara.
- If you wear foundation/powder, now is the time to apply it. Then smile in the mirror so your apples pop out and swirl the blush on the top half of them.
- Finish by applying the tinted lip balm directly from the tube.
Recently I’ve noticed that Urban Outfitters has been stepping up their beauty game in a big way. They used to dedicate maybe a table or two to random nail polishes and lip glosses, but lately I’ve noticed they’re creating full blown beauty spaces/sections in the stores. A) That’s very smart of them because beauty related products are often the quickest impulse buys and B) It’s very convenient for ME. I’ve been stalking the UO beauty section online for a long time because they always seem to bring in the tried and true products, but they’re really good at selecting all the cool new stuff. But now it’s nice to know they’re stocking up in-store. As I’m sure you’re wondering– no, this is not a sponsored post. I just really love what they’re doing in these little beauty spaces so much and wanted to share. Here are some of the most interesting things I’ve purchased and a couple things I still want to pick up…
- COSMETIC TOWER These little things are an investment but I LOVE how they look on my vanity. Makes it easy to organize and easy to search for what you need.
- BROW AND EYE KIT Brow color is so important. Most of us naturally have a neutral or ashy shade to our brows. I use these in my studio on clients after they get their brows tinted to fill in any little sparse areas they may have naturally. You can get almost any shade by mixing these 3 colors.
- CUTICLE ART I don’t know why I think these are so cool. I’m toning down my nail art game right now so cuticle art seems logical? Haha. I love finger tat, so this is a fun way to get the look temporarily. They go behind your cuticle/fingernail. Maybe I need to do a post with these so you can see how they look…
- BEAUTY DUST I loooooove this stuff. Again– it’s a little pricey but worth it. I put this in my tea, sprinkle some on my acai bowls, etc… it’s loaded with ingredients that will give a healthy boost to your skin, hair and nails. (and that packaging is KEWT)
- OIL NAIL TREATMENT Not only do Paul & Joe have the cutest packaging but this cuticle oil is AMAZE. I always have my hands in water and hair color so cuticle oil is a must. I keep this within reach when I’m working in the studio, too!
- DRY SHAMPOO WITH NETTLE A lot of people don’t realize that there’s more than one Klorane dry shampoo. This one has nettle for stimulating the scalp and this one is much more “powdery” to me. This is the particular one I use. (They also make one now for brunettes with a slight natural tint! You can find it in the related products when you click this link)
- SWIM SPRAY NEEEEEEEEED this for summer if you plan on swimming. Can’t stress it enough. This vitamin C treatment eliminates irritation and “that crusty feeling” caused by chlorine residue. If you are going to be in a pool and you don’t have this, I am going to be SO mad at you! (Okay, not mad but seriously disappointed.)
- CORIOLISS TOOL This thing is fun! It’s a flat iron and curling iron in one. I’ve been able to teach flat iron waves to the most uncoordinated clients with this contraption. Also nice to travel with to save space.
- COCONUT MILK SHAMPOO I’m just really into the smell and feel but the best part is it’s sulfate free! I like this because it still feels cleansing.
- DRY SHAMPOO WITH OAT MILK The classic. This is the Klorane most people use. I’m just glad it’s carried somewhere as accessible as UO.
- EXTRA LONG BARRETTE I have a tutorial coming up this week with a long barrette. I’m very into these AND half up hair. So 90’s. This one also comes in tortoiseshell.
- PIN KIT UMMMMMM HI! Get this. Immediately. I am SO into this. I got one for myself (because it fits in my purse) and I buy them for assistants because it’s an INCREDIBLE starter pin kit but also so small and compact for being on set or on the go! This is definitely something every girl needs in their bathroom to do all these updos and hairstyles like a pro. The right tools and pins can seriously change your hair game. And it’s SO organized.
- BATISTE DRY SHAMPOO I know we’re getting into a lot of dry shampoos but there are so many different kinds. What I love about Batiste is the price and how many scent options they have. Whether you like sweet or clean or unscented they have you covered. They also have colored dry shampoos which is awesome for darker hair colors.
- SEA DRY SHAMPOO Okay, love this because you can sprinkle it on and it’s all natch. Let’s say my hair is on day 2 or 3 and I decide to do a pony. The spray version might blow the hairs all over causing fly aways. But with this, I can sprinkle it on and tap it in and everything stay in place. It’s just a preference thing and you get a little more control over where this goes. Also this particular one is made with natural ingredients like rice powder and kaolin clay. There’s really nothing natural about Batiste (sorry, Batiste!)
- ROSE MILK BATH SOAK What can I say. I like a luxurious bath from time to time. Treat yoself. It’s beautiful and smells like heaven (and is very instgrammable which is obviously most important).
- COCOOIL I love coconut scented things, especially for summer (winter, spring and fall)! This beach spray is amazing for poolside or beachside days, creating a very low-maintenance natural wave when scrunched into wet hair. It keeps the hair from frizzing up and has some coconut oil in it to keep your hair from feeling dry! A little goes a long way in my experience.
- JASMINE HAIR PERFUME Fully into these hair perfumes. They’re soooooo light and so refreshing. There’s jasmine, rose and vanilla. I thought I would like the vanilla most but jasmine’s where it’s at for me. Spray a little into your hair after a “long night” so you don’t have to go in to work smelling like regret.
- MERMAID SHINE HAIR SPRAY I’ll buy anything that says “Mermaid Hair” on it. The end. (Not joking)
- GREEN TEA SHAMPOO A lot of my clients who use sulfate free shampoos say they love the way their hair feels but they never really feel like their scalp gets super clean. I find that this one does the trick. It somehow feels more “squeaky clean” than most sulfate free shampoos. I only use this once a week to get my hair canvas super clean, eliminating any residue build up.
- HAIR SERUM If you’re trying to grow your hair faster and longer, you should definitely look into hair pills because you really want to nourish from the inside, out. But don’t forget about nourishing the scalp at the same time. This is made to rub into your scalp to fortify, protect and encourage growth. If you’re already taking hair pills and feel you need a little something more, add this into your mix!
- ARGAN HAIR OIL This is a classic go-to for me. All natural argan oil from
- BAMBOO WET BRUSH I’ve talked about these brushes a million times. This one is the same, it’s just bamboo/wood and a new sophisticated look for WetBrush. I always set a hot curling iron on the plastic ones which is the main reason I wanted to get the wood one! It also feels more like a professional tool than the plastic ones.
- MATTE POMADE I love a matte pomade. I use it for tutorials all the time, like when we style bobs and lobs! I love mixing matte pomade together with a serum and working it into waves to give them that second day look. This product cocktail is my favorite ever. But it’s also incredible for shorter lengths like pixie cuts because you can get so much texture!
- MERMAID SEA SALT HAIR SPRAY I stand by my mermaid hair obsessions. This one’s for the natural girls. It’s literally pink sea salt, coconut oil and water. I was pulled in by the packaging but impressed by the product. Simple is sometimes best.
- BEACH WAVE IRON Clip your hair in, push a button and boom. This thing does all the work for you. I still suggest sliding clamp through the ends the same way I did HERE as well as using the products from that tutorial to get a more natural beauty look.
I hope you guys enjoyed this lil Urban Outfitters beauty round up! Are you into these kinds of shopping sprees? Should we do more? We don’t normally do round ups from a particular store but could be a fun thing for future posts. What are some of your favorite places to look for the newest, coolest beauty buys??