post: KRISTIN ESS
Not all who wand are lost… When it comes to the wand, instructions are pretty straight forward: wrap your hair around the wand starting closest to the root and wrap your way to the ends without burning your fingers off. I always let the hair naturally twist as I wrap the hair, but there are different ways to do it which we showed you a while ago HERE. So what happens when the hair comes out of the wand and you have this perfect coil? There are actually lots of things you can do and we spent some time last week shooting my 5 favorites…
By the way, if you don’t have a curling wand, it’s time to get one! Here are some goods…
WAND WAVING (NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT)
- Prep the hair with your favorite HEAT PROTECTANT before waving with the wand.
- Wrap small to medium (about 1″) sections around the wand from root to ends, getting as close to the ends as possible without burning your fingers obviously!
- Release the hair and let it all cool for a couple minutes.
- Choose a method below for styling!
- Comb through with your fingers only, no brushing necessary.
- Add APRES BEACH SPRAY for light separation.
SOFT BRUSHED WAVES…
- Once the hair has been curled and cooled, start brushing with a CUSHION BRUSH until you see a pattern form.
- Add weightless shine using a DRY OIL SPRAY.
- Once you have curled and cooled the hair, brush everything out using a CUSHION BRUSH.
- Use an adjustable temperature FLAT IRON at medium temp (about 350) and gently and quickly tap the waves from root to ends. Or if you’re not super coordinated with the flat iron, turn it on a low setting (in the 200’s) and quickly slide the iron through the hair.
- Use a lightweight STYLING CREAM to finish off this laid back look + give it the perfect amount of separation.
EVERY DAY WAVES…
- Once you’ve waved a section using your wand, gently tug on it while it’s still hot. That will slightly loosen the coil.
- After you’ve curled and cooled everything, brush everything out using your CUSHION BRUSH.
- Mix a pea-sized dab of POMADE with a drop of SERUM together in the palm of your hands. Scrunch into the hair starting in the middle and working your way down.
- Start by doing the exact same steps from from the photo above (Every Day Waves).
- Next, take your BLOWDRYER with the nozzle off, flip your head upside down and “stir” the hair with cold air. In other words, create little circles at the scalp using your blowdryer on the cold setting.
- Flip head right-side-up and add a little TEXTURE SPRAY.
POST: KRISTIN ESS
There are some things on this list we didn’t even know existed! But they do and your fiancé, best friend, brother, father may need these gems if they’re saying “I do” soon.
- SWISS ARMY HANGING TRAVEL KIT. He’s going to need something to put all his new fancy stuff in. Also… easy to zip up and take on the honeymoon. Men need baggage, too!
- HAIR FIBERS. I’m obsessed with these little bottles and have them in every color. I use this on both men and women for photoshoots. If there’s a weak spot/thinning patch on someones head, I shake these tiny little hair fibers onto the scalp and boom– no more see-through patch. Doesn’t look powdery and no one has ever been able to detect these fibers. They also stay put throughout the night, dancing and sweating and all. This stuff is amazing. I’ve used these on more grooms than one could imagine. Particularly those grooms who are a lil insecure about potentially seeing a thinning patch in a photo. Problem solved.
- MEN’S NAIL CLIPPERS. If your guy isn’t down for a mani in the salon, grab him a set of these. They’re made particularly for men. They’re wider and easier to handle and they’re also incredibly sharp compared to most fingernail and toe nail clippers.
- CLIPPER + EDGER SET. Of course the groom is going to get his hair cut before the big day, but what if someone in his dude lineup didn’t get a chance to ? Maybe have a set of these on hand for any last minute touch ups. Most guys know how to clean up another guy’s hairline and if not, hopefully there’s a pro on site who can take a second to help out.
- ANTI-REDNESS CREAM. I actually used this for a little while because I was having some rosey little flare ups on my cheeks. Until I could find a more permanent solution, I used this. If your guy tends to have some redness issues in his skin, get him a jar of this and have him apply a few min before the wedding or photos.
- PRE-SHAVE OIL (for sensitive skin). If your dewd has issues with shaving due to sensitive skin, get him to try this out. It’s an oil, applied before shaving, which softens and conditons the skin before going at it with the razor. It’s a bit of a buffer between the skin and the razor.
- ANTI-FATIGUE COOLING EYE ROLLER. Who knows, maybe he had to work up until the last minute or really partied hard at the rehearsal dinner. Pop one of these in the refrigerator and tell him to roll it under his eyes for a few before walking down the aisle. I have the women’s formula and it’s amazing.
- DE-PUFFING EYE BALM. Similar to the cooling eye roller above, this relieves any sign of sleepy under the eye. This one is a balm geared specifically toward puffiness so you would want to do this the morning of the wedding, not right before walking out. I would suggest giving this a couple hours to do it’s thing.
- CLEAR BROW GEL. A lot of men have untamed brows. Ask your guy to check those wild ones at the door on your wedding day. This is an undetectable clear brow gel. No one will be able to see it. It won’t make or break a photo if your guy’s brow is out of place, but it will just be nice not to have to think about it either.
- BEARD BOX. This is awesome and every bearded bro I know would LOVE this. It’s a box containing everything a guy could need to maintain a beard. And it’s all packaged up inside a gorgeous black walnut box. Such a gorgeous gift.
- OIL CONTROL MATTIFYING MOISTURIZER. No body ever sets out to be “the shiny guy”. Eliminate an oily face, hairline or even bald head with this mattifying moisturizer.
- R + CO CONFORMIST HAIR PASTE. I find that the most common men’s product these days is a water-based mattifying paste and this is a great one. It keeps the hair from looking overly shiny which is great for photos.
- ENERGY BUBBLES. All the energy of an energy drink, no jitters. Lots of vitamin B! Your groom will be socializing and celebrating all night, so make sure he has the stamina to handle all those hugs and kisses and long convos with your whole family (and vice versa!)
- MEN’S CONCEALER. His face gets an occasional zit, blemish, ingrown, razor nick, whatever. No one is asking him to put on a full face of makeup, but let’s say he does get a razor nick or an ingrown on his neck from his new cut… You don’t him or anyone else distracted by it, so grab a tube in his tone.
- PRO-GLIDE POWER SHAVE SET. If your Dapper Dan is not going in to get a professional shave before the wedding, let him give himself one. This kit is a collaboration between The Art of Shaving + Gilette so it’s a classic for sure, but it’s also not 500+ like some of the shaving kits out there. Eek.
- MEN’S EXFOLIATING FACIAL SCRUB. Encourage him to get any flaky, dead skin off with an exfoliator scrub. If you haven’t heard of Baxter, I’m OBSESSED. They make the greatest men’s products, they’re totally affordable and they work! Way into this brand for men. Anyway, have your guy do this once or twice before the big day.
- EXFOLIATING BODY BAR. Swap his soap! He’ll thank you because this will get any remaining flaky skin off the rest of his body.
- LASER HAIR GROWTH COMB. This is always a touchy subject. I couldn’t care less if my guy was losing his hair. But what if your guys does? If it’s something he’s concerned with an you want to point him in the right direction or help him out, try a hair growth comb. It uses low-level laser light energy to stimulate hair follicles at a cellular level to promote new growth. It’s an investment, but 93% of patients in their clinical studies experienced significant new hair growth, so it’s worth a shot.
- TEETH WIPES. This is genius and I didn’t even know these existed! Let’s say you guys are red wine peeps. And let’s say you’re drinking a lot of it at the rehearsal dinner or wedding. You don’t want to be the purple teeth people in your photos. Keep these on hand or in your purse and check your teeth when you hit the restroom.
- NOSE + EAR HAIR TRIMMER. The struggle is real, people. Have a chat with him about nose and ear hairs if he has some creeping out. Just ask if he’s interested in trimmin’ it back. If so, grab him one of these. Doesn’t matter how old you are or how hairy you’re not, these rando hairs creep out on every guy I know.
- CHAPSTICK + SPF. If you’re having an outdoor wedding and celebration, remind him to keep one of these in his pocket. Making out on your honeymoon will be so much better when his lips aren’t chapped.
In addition to this guy guide goodness, I found this amazing graphic on men’s hair while on pinterest the other day and thought I would share. It comes from a super cool men’s hair site called hair HairStyleOnPoint.com If you’re having the wedding hair talk with him soon, this website could be incredibly helpful and so could this graphic!
POST: KRISTIN ESS
Some days I wonder if there’s anyone out there who’s more pale and more sensitive-skinned than moi. I take cover the instant the sun comes out because I start to sunburn within minutes. So– I’ll forever be the girl in all black sipping a margarita under an umbrella while everyone else is out surfing or trying to recreate the opening scene of Baywatch. In addition to my obnoxiously flowy, billowy caftan collection, I lightly hoard hats. Whether you have sensitive skin or not, it’s important to have some hat options for your days in the soleil! Here are some current faves…
and for those FULL, full coverage days…
PHOTOS/POST: KRISTIN ESS
If I had a dime for everyone who asked me about post-workout wet hair styling, I would be the ricccccccccchest. Like, THE richest. And because I like you guys (gals) so much, I’m giving you what you’ve asked for– hair ideas that you can do when you’re leaving the gym, or even home, with wet hair. There are a million reasons to head out with wet or damp locks but zero reasons that it shouldn’t still look cute after I show you these ideas. So from now on, when it’s just too hot or you’re just too late or straight up TOO tired to blowdry after you shower, try this…
Before doing these, we shampooed with LIVING PROOF RESTORE SHAMPOO, conditioned for 3 minutes with WELLA ENRICH, detangled out of the shower using SEXY HAIR SOY TRI-WHEAT LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER, and then added a little ORIBE GRANDIOSE MOUSSE for hold and fullness once the hair dries. All of these links are for travel size and/or smallest containers available, which is what I keep in my gym bag.
THE BRAIDED BUN
Seems easy enough and we’ve all done it on dry hair. But braiding on wet hair is SO much easier in my opionion because it doesn’t tend to slip.
- Create a simple ponytail around the occipital bone (that bone in the back of your head).
- Make a regular 3-strand braid out of that ponytail.
- Wrap the braid around the ponytail and pin into a bun shape. The mousse will help create volume in the braided bun as it air dries. Gently pull it apart for texture if desired.
THE WAVY PONY
- Create a ponytail above the occipital bone.
- Divide the ponytail into two sections and twist them into each other.
- Unwrap the twists and scrunch until the curls break up. Don’t shake it up or break it up too much as you don’t want it to get frizzy.
THE TIED UP TOPKNOT
- Create a high ponytail about where you like your topknot to sit.
- Split the high pony into two secitons.
- Tie the hair in a half knot above the ponytail holder.
- Now tie it in another half knot behind the ponytail holder. It’s easy to do this on wet hair. Much easier than it is on dry hair.
- Take the ends that are left out and wrap them around front. Tuck and pin them underneath the bun in front.
Are you guys feeling these gym/wet hair looks? I’m also going to do one for short hair, so keep your eyes peeled for that one!