This little powder rule has saved me so many times. Powder can be your best friend when you find the perfect balance of taking down shine but keeping your skin looking alive and healthy. But it does you no favors if you powder the perimeter of your face. Why? Because that’s where our faces tend to have the most facial hair. And nothing brings attention to facial hair more than powder! I learned that the hard way on one of my first cover shoots in 2005 that was shot outside in direct light. I felt so bad when it came out that I had to learn that lesson at my client’s expense. Luckily she never said anything about it and continued booking me but I never forgot it! Anyway, the perimeter of the face doesn’t tend to shine that much anyway, so it’s okay to skip it and concentrate all of the shine patrol on the T-zone where we need it.
- This is my favorite loose powder ($$) because it comes in 10 shades to really cover EVERY skin tone. This is my favorite budget-friendly loose powder ($).
- Or with pressed powder, I love this touch up veil powder ($$) and this shine control mattifying powder ($).
- You Favorite Powder Brush — I love this one ($$$) and this one ($).
- Dip the brush into the loose powder or against the pressed powder. Tap it against the compact to release the excess then stipple (press) the powder brush repeatedly as you move across the forehead.
- Press it in between the eyes as you work your way down the bridge of the nose. Be careful powdering your upper lip if you have peach fuzz there. The best way to deal with that area is by pressing the puff/pad that comes with the powder instead of a powder brush, and pressing it in downward motions.
- Press it on each side of the nostrils and also hit the apples of the cheeks.
- Finish by pressing it on the chin.
Note: If you have cystic acne and it’s along the face perimeter, you will want to powder the foundation/concealer to set it. In this case, switch from a powder brush to a puff and press it carefully on. Buy a pack of disposable puffs so you can use a new one each day.