SUMMER BRAID 2
While we love a good, big, thick braid, there is also something about a baby braid that we just love (remember these braids?!). They are so cute + simple and can provide lots of texture with just a little bit of hair so you can leave half down. When our gorgeous graphic designer Eunice came into town I thought it would be fun to do it on her jet black hair so you can see for yourself that in fact, these braids can be done on dark hair and look just as intricate and beautiful as they do on light hair. We get a lot of comments and emails about braids not looking as fun on dark hair but I think we can all agree, this looks super pretty and fun. Here’s how we made this little gem!
- Start by taking 2 equal sized sections, one from each side (in front of your ears). Think of it as if you were going to put your hair half up/back.
- Now grab a small third section from the center back of your head. Grab it from right near the occipital bone (that bone in the back of your head), that way you’ll have a lot more length to work with.
- Start weaving that small piece in a section 8 pattern between the two larger sections.
- Keep going all the way down until you run out of length with the small section.
- Tie it off using a small elastic that matches your hair color (or use clear!).
- Gently and slowwwly pull small bits of the larger sections out from in between the small pieces to give it some texture. If your hair is too soft or straight, add a little surf spray. Eunice has thick, heavy, straight hair so we added a couple sprays of one of my favorites, Wella Ocean Spritz, to the braid and let it dry before pulling it apart.
And for those of you who want a visual of what this braid looks like on lighter hair, we’ve got a picture perfect photo for you below!
Now hop to it! Let’s get to braiding!! Don’t forget to tag us @thebeautydept on Instagram with your own baby boho. braids!