Happy Saturday, friends! A week or so ago I had posted a photo of this braid on instgram and it got a ton of tutorial requests so, here it is. It looks pretty complicated but it’s pretty simple if you know how to do a basic french braid and a simple fishtail braid. This is such a go-to braid for summer because it gets the hair off your back and neck but still looks super fancy and fun. Okay, here are the 8 steps…
- Create a side part first. Then on the heavier side, clip up a section of hair about the size you see in photo 1. You’ll save that for later to create your fishtail.
- Start in the back behind one of your ears and french braid all the way across to the opposite shoulder.
- Once you get to the shoulder, turn the french braid into a regular braid that will fall in front of your shoulder.
- Next, take down the clipped up section and create a basic fishtail braid. Secure it with a small clear elastic when you’re done.
- Take the fishtail and wrap it around your head toward the back. Tuck it into the french braid and pull the tail through (see photo 5)
- Now take the tail of the fishtail that may be hanging out and work it into the french braid. Pin it in place.
- Gently pull the fishtail braid and the french braid apart to give it a little more texture and softeness. I love to spray my braid lightly with a soft ocean spray like Wella Ocean Spritz before I pull it apart. It gives it a little extra hold so I don’t end up unraveling my whole braid.
- Pull out some pieces out around the front to give it a more romantic feel (optional), then do a veil of fine mist hair spray like Oribe Superfine or Elnett.
If you have super clean hair to start, you may want to massage a little water-based pomade into the root and through the middle. That’s my favorite technique for anyone with freshly washed hair. Try Redken Rough Paste or treat yo’self to my ultimate fave Rough Luxury from Oribe. Those are my two go-to pomades.Tags: braid, DIY, fishtail braid, french braid, hair tutorial, how to, kristin ess, kristin ess hair, summer braid, summer braid ideas, summer braids, summer hair 2014, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com, tutorial