Okay, this is kind of an out-of-the-norm post for us but it’s summer and it’s hot outside so anything goes, right?
Last week we posted a photo on our Instagram of a very popular type of photo that many refer to as a “mermaid shot” or a “water flip”. It generated a lot of comments regarding technique and how to capture it. According to readers, it’s not so easy to snap this photo while someone whips their water-soaked hair back. But we found a great way to do it and we wanted to share. Hopefully this will be your new favorite summer photo!
Here’s how we did it with our iPhone!
- Be very careful or cover your phone in a LifeProof case!
- Turn your settings to video: you’re going to record the water flip in action.
- Frame up before you hit record: get the person to stand in the middle of your camera.
- Dip it: push all your hair forward and dip your hair in the water up to your forehead.
- Count down: hit record on your camera, count to three and have the person flip their head back. Stop the video after they’ve flipped all the way back.
- Scroll through: open the video and drag the bar through your video to see it frame-by-frame. Pick the best frame and screen cap it.
If you do this, hashtag it with #TBDwaterflip and we’ll repost the best ones on our Instagram account!
Tags: @thebeautydept, Ariel hair, fun in the sun, hair flip, instagram hair, iphone photo, Lifeproof Case, look at this stuff isn't it neat?, mermaid hair flip, mermaid photo, mermaid shot, photography, photoshoot, pool fun, pool photo, TBD, TBD Instagram, tbdofficial, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com, water flip