WATER FLIP TRICK
Okay, this is kind of an out-of-the-norm post for us but it’s summer and it’s hot outside so anything goes, right?
Last week we posted a photo on our Instagram of a very popular type of photo that many refer to as a “mermaid shot” or a “water flip”. It generated a lot of comments regarding technique and how to capture it. According to readers, it’s not so easy to snap this photo while someone whips their water-soaked hair back. But we found a great way to do it and we wanted to share. Hopefully this will be your new favorite summer photo!
Here’s how we did it with our iPhone!
- Be very careful or cover your phone in a LifeProof case!
- Turn your settings to video: you’re going to record the water flip in action.
- Frame up before you hit record: get the person to stand in the middle of your camera.
- Dip it: push all your hair forward and dip your hair in the water up to your forehead.
- Count down: hit record on your camera, count to three and have the person flip their head back. Stop the video after they’ve flipped all the way back.
- Scroll through: open the video and drag the bar through your video to see it frame-by-frame. Pick the best frame and screen cap it.
If you do this, hashtag it with #TBDwaterflip and we’ll repost the best ones on our Instagram account!