With the current heat wave here on the west coast and summer fast approaching, it’s time to cool it down with an icy treat! Nothing says summer quite like a popsicle. Only with this DIY beauty benefit packed pop, there will be no need to chase down the ice cream truck to get your fix. Super refreshing and looks real fancy, but couldn’t be easier to make! Keep these babies on hand for those hot summer days and long summer nights.
For this particular pop, we wanted to really jam pack it with antioxidants. We’ve said it before, and we will say it again. A diet full of antioxidant rich foods is so beneficial for our bodies! Antioxidants are vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that protect your cells from the effects of damaging free radicals. This is especially beneficial for our skin and is helpful in preventing pre-mature aging and maintaining elasticity. Here is a deep dive into some of the antioxidant packed ingredients in these power pops!
1. HONEYDEW MELON: In addition to being delicious, honeydew melon contains large amounts of Vitamin C (an antioxidant) as well as Copper. Having balanced levels of Copper in your diet is great for maintaining regular skin cell regeneration.
2. PEACHES: This juicy, sweet fruit contains copious amounts of both Vitamin A and Vitamin C which are both antioxidants (major ones, actually).
3. BLUEBERRIES: Out of all the fruits, blueberries are one of the most powerful when it comes to antioxidants. Blueberries are a very good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Manganese (all antioxidants).
4. LIMES: Being a citrus fruit, limes are high in…you guessed it. Vitamin C! And Vitamin C is a what? Correct…an antioxidant! Vitamin C is actually one of the most important antioxidant in nature. Adding this one to our beauty pops was a no-brainer. (Plus the tart flavor is pretty amazing)
Now that we know the antioxidant power of these pops. Lets make them, shall we? Ok beauties…here’s what you need.
1/2 of a honeydew melon, diced
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup of honey
1 pint fresh blueberries
2 ripe peaches
2 limes, juiced
1. In a blender, add your chopped honeydew melon, honey, water and lime juice. Blend until liquified. You’ll need popsicle molds for this recipe. We used these molds and they are amazing for making at home pops! We’ve also seen tons of ideas out there to make popsicles at home using things you might already have around the house as well. (Pinterest anyone?)
2. Fill your molds 3/4 of the way full with the honeydew mixture.
3. Add whole blueberries and peach slices into the filled molds. We packed them full to get the most bang for our buck! Also, after these are frozen, you can see the peaches and blueberries peeking through…yummy AND pretty!
Put your molds into the freezer for a minimum of 4 hours for them to fully harden. Tip: when you are ready to eat them, dip the bottom of the molds in hot water to help them loosen for easier removal. For easy storage, you can place them in a large freezer bag and separate with pieces of parchment paper.
We are picturing lots of strolls on the beach and summer picnics with these pops! Enjoy!
Ever try out any of our recipes or have any beauty bites of your own? We want to see! Snap a pic and tag us on insta: @thebeautydept or on twitter: @tbdofficialTags: antioxidants, beat the heat, beauty benefits, beauty bites, beauty blog, beauty pop. icy treat, beauty vitamins, blueberries, cool down, fitness, food benefits, food blog, foodie, frozen treat, healthy, healthy lifestyle, heat wave, honeydew melon, lime, peaches, popsicle, pretty food, pretty on the inside, skin care, summer treat, summertime, TBD, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamins, whole foods