NEW MOMS: NO SLEEP QUICK FIX
This tutorial is for all of us who’ve had to pull an all-nighter, especially our readers who are mothers barely getting any sleep with new babies! There are mornings when we look in the mirror and think to ourselves “who is that?!” From dark circles and bags under our eyes to puffy faces and dry cracked lips… we feel like we need a miracle yet we don’t have much time to dedicate to it. Luckily, cosmetic companies have made these lovely weapons to erase the damage and help us feel like ourselves again!
- Eye Gel Pads — Masqueology Revitalizing Eye Masks are the best I’ve found for de-puffing under-eye bags.
- Electric Lip Scrubber — If you’re obsessed with smooth, healthy-looking lips, you have to invest in the Bliss Fabulips Pout-O-Matic Lip Perfecting System. I use it on all of my clients and am so grateful it exists!
- Tinted Moisturizer/Foundation/BB Cream — I used MAKE UP FOR EVER Face & Body Liquid Makeup because it’s thin enough to not feel like you’re wearing anything or look like you’re wearing makeup but still gives good coverage (and waterproof). If you’re on the hunt for a new foundation, you’ll love this one. Or you can use your favorite tinted moisturizer or BB cream.
- Egg-shaped Sponge — As you can see by three years of my makeup tutorials, you know I’m obsessed with the Beauty Blender sponge. Make sure to dampen it with water first so it grows substantially then squeeze out the excess water with a towel.
- Concealer — I used Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer because it’s lightweight but long-lasting, so you can build your coverage and not worry about it creasing.
- Highlighter — I used Revlon Photoready Skinlights Face Illuminator because I fell in love with it in 2001 when the J-Lo glow was
- Cream Blush — A staple in my kit, I used Stila Convertible Color cream blush.
- Lash Curler — I used my favorite MAC Lash Curler because I’ve found it gives the strongest pinch yet is still wide enough to accommodate all eye widths.
- Volumizing Mascara — Right now my lastest mascara obsession is Mally Beauty Volumizing Mascara because it really separates each lash while building fullness.
- Lip Stain — I love Yves Saint Laurent Glossy Stain Rebel Nudes because they stay glossy and really stain your lip.
- Start by placing an eye gel pad under each eye. This will dramatically decrease any puffiness and “bags”.
- Grab the electric lip scrubber and move it back and forth in circular motions all over the upper and lower lip area. If you don’t have an electric scrubber, grab a disposable mascara wand and lip balm and scrub in circular motions. Both techniques will bring life, circulation and color back to the lips!
- Do a quick once-over of tinted moisturizer/foundation/BB cream and a dampened sponge. For a refresher on how to use a makeup sponge, click here.
- Tackle the undereye dark circles with the concealer.
- Highlight the eye area by tapping the highlighter just above each cheekbone. This step does wonders to wake up the face so don’t skip it!
- Smile in the mirror and stipple the cream blush on the top half of the apples with the blush brush. Continue along the cheekbone and dab the tiny remainder on the brush above the brows. (Revisit the Blush Balancer Tutorial to see why).
- Wake up the eyes even more with a pinch of the lash curler. Don’t forget to invert it while your pinching it!
- Add a couple coats of volumizing mascara to define the lashes.
- Finish with the lip stain so you don’t have to think about it for hours!
And for all the new moms out there, I’ll let you in on a little secret… you can actually get your baby to sleep through the night way sooner than you think! My sister and I just launched a new blog, The Practically Perfect Baby, a parenting movement that creates a happy babyhood with easy-to-follow schedules, self-soothing sleep-training techniques and empowering tips and tricks! It’s been a labor of love (pun intended!) and I hope you’ll share it with all of your expecting friends! Because when your baby sleeps, you sleep… and everyone gets their daily dose of pretty (and sanity)!