Adding vibrant, rich colors to your hair is always insane amounts of fun and we’re no strangers to experimenting with pretty colors around here. Not all of us can pull off our favorite shade of purple or blue all-over due to school or work, but there’s always a solution! Recently we reunited with our friends at Vidal Sassoon Pro Series and they’re launching some bold new boxes of at-home that include shades like “Midnight Muse Blue“, “London Lilac” + “Runway Red“. Um, yes please. We took a lil note from the always on-point, Kylie Jenner, and decided to play up the idea of having some hidden hues underneath. We thought it would be fun to do a tutorial on getting that look because let’s face it, while we encourage everyone to be as BOLD as possible, you could hide this at even the most conservative 9 to 5! Here’s how we did it…
- Clip all of your hair up into a bun. Put a cape or old (or dark) towel over your shoulders. Add a berrier of petroleum jelly around your lower hairline to keep your skin from staining.
- Create a triangle section in the back of your head as you see in photo number 2. It’s easiest if you part the hair down the center from your front hairline all the way to the nape of your neck. Then go back and take a half triangle from each side of the part as you see above.
- Always, always, always wear your protective gloves while using hair color! Inside the box you’ll find professional gloves, not those janky cheap ones that fall apart.
- Take out all of the Vidal Sassoon Pro Series color contents from the box. There will be containers labeled 1, 2 + 3.
- Take the #1 tube and mix it into the #2 bottle. Empty the entire tube into the bottle!
- Now shake, shake, shake!
- Grab a hand mirror or a compact so that you can see the back (if you’re not having someone help you, which could be both fun AND smart)!
- Put some color at the root of your triangle section and start combing it in with a plastic comb. Using a comb makes it easy to get the triangle section right. It doesn’t have to be perfect but the cleaner the better in our opinion.
- Once you get the root, pour some of the color on the middle and ends.
- Work it through with your fingers.
- It was really fun to watch it change from a pinkish/magenta hue to lilac. We have a feeling this will fade very nicely over time and just keep getting prettier! Once it’s ready, shampoo the color out. Lean over the sink and turn your head if possible to avoid getting color elsewhere. That’s what we did and it seemed to work really well. Run the #3 tube through the hair for extra shimmer + major shine.
- Blow dry or air dry your hair, as you please. You won’t see the color when your hair is down or in a low pony or bun, but once you put it up high, you get the full effect. We love adding some sweet accessories to this, as you can tell.
If you have darker hair this color looks beautiful. And if you want that extra pop, go into the salon and ask your colorist to have this section subtly pre-lightened. That’s what we did for the photo below. It didn’t need much, and you definitely don’t need to bleach it out to blonde, but for the color to be bold you’ll want to take the extra step.
Overall, we’re in love with the color and we’ve never seen anything like London Lilac on the shelves before. Our favorite thing was that the hair feels glossy + soft. If you try out the Vidal Sassoon Pro Series London Luxe colors, we would LOVE to see it! Tag us in your photo @thebeautydept on instagram, please!
But more importantly, Vidal Sassoon Pro Series is holding an AMAZING color contest for this launch which you should look at right HERE. Wanna go to London? Want $4,000? Um, WE DO TOO.Tags: blue hair, hair color, haircolor, lilac hair, london lilac, magenta hair, midnight muse blue, pro series london luxe, purple hair, red hair, runway red, the beauty department.com, thebeautydepartment.com, Vidal Sassoon, vidal sassoon london luxe, vidal sassoon pro series, violet hair