Remember the case study I did comparing a matte eye with a shimmer eye (revisit it here)? Today we’re studying how to combine both eye makeup finishes together for one gorgeous look! Why? Because a matte shade anchors shimmer and keeps it from becoming a little too Vegas showgirl, while a shimmer shade adds a little life to a matte eye. Here’s how:
- A Bone-colored Matte Shadow — I used the bone shade from CARGO Color Palette Eye Shadow in Baja.
- A Taupe-colored Matte Shadow — I used the taupe color from the same Cargo Baja Palette.
- A Pearl or Gold Shimmer Shadow — I used LORAC Eye Shadow Eye Color in Star Quality.
- A Metallic Pencil Eyeliner — I used Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil in Brown Copper.
- A Champagne-colored Shimmer Stick — try Anastasia Eye Lights Shimmer Jumbo Pencil in Lace.
- Mascara — I used Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes Mascara but it’s not available in the US until the Fall (our European readers can grab one though!). We’re also obsessed with another British cult mascara, Eyeko Black Magic Mascara that is available in the US!
- Apply the bone shadow all over the lid as a base coat so when you apply the shimmer shadow later, it has something to adhere to.
- Apply the taupe shadow in the crease with a crease brush back and forth like windshield wipers.
- Apply the same taupe shadow along the bottom lashline. You can use the same brush as the crease.
- Dab your finger in the shimmer shadow then tap it along the center of the lid. Repeat for more intensity if needed.
- Line the upper lashline with the metallic pencil, focusing on the outer corner.
- Line the lower lashline as well (optional).
- Highlight the inner corner of the eye using the shimmer stick.
Finish with a couple coats of mascara and pair it with any lip color you’re in the mood for! I used Anna Sui Lip Stick in #304 Fresh Pink for a pretty Spring look.
Tags: amy nadine, amy nadine makeup, beauty, blog, copper, crease, easy, eye, eyelid, eyeliner, Eyeshadow, how to, lid, liner, make up, makeup, mascara, matte, metallic, pearl, pretty, shadow, shimmer, Taupe, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com, tip, tips, trend, tutorial