Wrinkles are a part of life and there are ones we can’t prevent but others that we can. Smile lines around our eyes and mouth are from being happy and enjoying life. You can’t do anything about those unless you go around with a blank stare on your face at all times. (Ok, yes botox and fillers help but that’s another post for another time). And personally, I think smile lines around the eyes are pretty and I wear mine like a badge of honor! But there are also 8 hours a day, 56 hours a week, 2,912 hours a year that we spend sleeping. Those hours really add up! So don’t spend them making sleep lines too! When we put pressure against a pillow, we are pressing the skin forward, creating a crease or a “line” anywhere there is pressure forward. Luckily, there are anti-wrinkle pillows (or at least sleeping techniques and positions) that can help prevent sleep lines. And they’re surprisingly really comfortable!! For real! Once you start sleeping without smashing your face against your pillow, you’ll never want to go back.
- The Original Anti-Wrinkle Pillowette by Save My Face
- Wrinkle Prevention Memory Foam Pillow by About Face
- The Anti-Aging Wrinkle Prevention Pillow by Sharper Image
- The Sleep Wrinkle Contour Pillow by Juverest (shown above)
IF YOU’RE A BACK SLEEPER:
- Consider yourself lucky! This is the best way to sleep and avoids creasing your skin. I’m not one so I’m super jealous of those who are!
- Sleeping on your back also prevents chest wrinkles that are caused by sleeping on your side. Another reason to convert!
- It does help your lower back when sleeping in this position if you buy a pillow for under your knees. I own the Hammacher Schlemmer Superior Support Knee Pillow but my friend loves her HoMedics Universal Support Pillow. You can also prop your knees up with regular pillows underneath, or a sturdy sofa arm pillow.
IF YOU’RE A SIDE SLEEPER:
- Buy an anti-wrinkle pillow and don’t worry about sleep lines because you won’t get them (except for chest wrinkles).
- If you’re not ready to invest in one, try to gently pull your skin towards your ear just before you lay your head on the pillow so it doesn’t crease forward, if that makes sense. But know that you can’t control if you toss and turn during the night and undo the position. You can also try to bend your arm, raise it by your face and place your face so it rests in between the V shape.
- To prevent cleavage wrinkles, try a Cleavage Pillow Bra like this one. Personally, I haven’t tried one and thinks it’s a little overboard, but if you have, please let us know!
IF YOU’RE A STOMACH SLEEPER:
- Honestly I don’t know what you should do! I’m assuming you have your head turned to the side, so maybe you can try cradling your face against your bent arm. If you know of any suggestions, please leave them in the comments below!