Spent the last week traveling in Paris, France. Celebrated Bastille Day, had some fancy dinners, and spent some quality time with friends. But boy was it H-O-T. Walking around all day (as we tend to do when traveling) can really make you want to get that hair up and off your back! We made up all kinds of impromptu cute hair styles before going out and about and I thought it would be fun to share some! Here’s how this one is done…
1. Using a 1″ barrel curling iron, add subtle waves to your hair for texture or if you already have waves/curls, skip that. Then apply a dime size dab of waterbased pomade.
2. Decide to which side you want your hair parted in the front. You can part it center or side. We like parting on the side because that creates one “open side” where there’s less hair. The more open side is where you would want to add a beautiful vintage brooch or fresh flowers.
3. Create a 2 or 3″ diagonal section down the back of your head (starting from the crown).
4. Do a classic French braid down the center and secure with a clear elastic. Then loosen it up slightly with your fingers.
5. Create two mini unicorn braids on one side and tuck them into the French braid, securing with small bobby pins. If you don’t know how to do a unicorn braid, learn how HERE.
6. Wrap up your ends into a quick messy bun and spray in place using a firm holding hairspray.
7. On the opposite side of the unicorn braids, create a mini fishtail braid and wrap that around the clear elastic from your French braid near the nape of the neck.
8. Check the back in a hand mirror and secure any strays using bobby pins and/or a firm holding hairspray.
This is such a great updo for travel because it technically requires no heat if you already have a little wave. If you have pin straight hair you can always DO THIS the night before to avoid using a curling iron. Will be back soon with more ideas for summer + travel hair! xoTags: braid bun, braid ideas, braid ideas 2013, braiding hair, french braid, hair post, hair trends 2013, hair trends summer, hair tutorial, how to, instagram hair, kristin ess, kristin ess hair, medium hair ideas, paris france, pinterest hair, plait party, step by step hair tutorial, summer braids 2013, summer hair ideas, summer hair tips, summer hair trend, summer lovin, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com, travel hair, tumblr hair, water based pomade, wavy hair ideas, we heart it hair, wedding hair ideas