For some of us, melasma and hyperpigmentation are a part of life and every now and then we have an important occasion that calls for full coverage. But that doesn’t mean we have to go out and buy a full coverage foundation (it’s not good to wear that much coverage on a daily basis anyway). Just make your own with concealer and face lotion! I personally think it gives better coverage than the “full coverage” foundations that are out there. Again, please don’t do this every day, as I don’t know how sensitive your skin is to breakouts, even though this shouldn’t cause a breakout as concealers are formulated to also cover blemishes. So just save it for an emergency situation where you find out you’re going to be on television or have your picture taken for something important! Here’s how:
- Your Favorite Liquid Concealer — the best coverage that I’ve ever found are Amazing Cosmetics Concealer, Estee Lauder Maximum Cover and Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer. Just make sure it is your true shade match and not lighter than your skin tone!
- Your Favorite Face Lotion — I’m obsessed with Melvita BioExcellence Face Lotion because it’s a Certified Organic line from France that is made from flowers and only the finest natural ingredients (99.47% natural to be exact!).
- A Foundation Brush, Sponge or Fingers to apply it with.
- Contouring Cream — I used Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel and if you need a contouring refresher, visit my Contouring Tutorial again!
- For every two pumps of face lotion, pump once with concealer (a 2:1 ratio has always worked for me as 1:1 is a little too “newscaster mask”).
- With your finger or a spatula, mix the two together by swirling it around until it’s one consistent shade.
- Dip a foundation brush into the mixture.
- Sweep the foundation brush all over your face and neck, reloading whenever necessary.
- Now that you have a blank canvas, promise me you’ll go back and add the dimension back in!! I used a cream bronzer but you can certainly use a powder bronzer if that’s your preference.