Considering much of our 9-to-5 takes place within the walls of the TBD offices, we’ll take any excuse to spend some time outdoors. Not that it takes much — our HQ is located in L.A., meaning our scalps are exposed to some serious sunshine every time we step out the front door. Rather than reach for a cap or close the sunroof, we’ve discovered a slew of products that promise to protect all types of tresses from harmful UVA/UVB rays. Whether you’re a fellow SoCal dweller or traveling to a faraway paradise, make sure to keep some SPF handy — for your shoulders and your strands (just don’t get the two mixed up!)
1. Kerastase Micro-Voile Protecteur (this one has always been our favorite, but unfortunately it has been discontinued. However, you can still get it on sites like this, this, & this): Kudos to Kerastase for kicking butt in nearly every hair care category! The Cristallister shampoo and conditioner (as seen here!) have revived even our driest and dullest moments, so we weren’t the least bit surprised to learn that the cult brand is one of the leading labels for sun-exposed hair. The entire Soleil collection is worth the splurge, especially if your strands are sensitive, colored, and have plans to lay poolside all summer long. But, if you can only purchase one product, we suggest the Micro-Voile Protecteur: just spray from roots to tips pre and post-swim, or as soon as you hop out of the shower for a day-long barrier. The UV filters protect your mane from anti-photo degradation, and the mineral oils help resist humidity and water. Plus, your locks feel ultra smooth and look super shiny.
2. Redken Color Extend Sun Solar Screen: Although ombre is 100% on-trend, we refuse to let Mother Nature take the reigns and fade our fabulous color. Treated or entirely natural, Redken’s Color Extend collection is ideal for our outdoorsy readers. And, the brand’s Sun Solar Screen SPF 12 is a triple-threat of sorts: The soplexyl helps prevent UVA/UVB rays, the mango oil replenishes moisture and vibrancy, and the creamide repairs and resurfaces. Plus, if you’re prone to scalp sunburns, the SPF prevents redness, peeling, and flaking.
3. Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil: Detangler, beach spray, sun shield — this bottle does it all! Whether your summer plans involve lounging at a tropical resort or white water rafting, the mist promises to remain water and UV-resistant for up to 16 hours. The UVA/UVB filters are derived from wintergreen and cinnamon bark oils, the anti-oxidizing blend of green tea extract, certified-organic sunflower oil, and vitamin E help protect against free radicals, and the certified-organic shea butter, coconut, and palm oils condition and detangle. Sounds like a recipe for great hair…all summer long!
4. Kiehl’s Color-Protect Shine Infusing Hair Oil Treatment: For all you lazy gals, listen up: Kiehl’s has created a leave-in oil treatment that not only protects with SPF 10, but keeps tresses looking lush and breakage-free. The sunflower seed oil is rich in antioxidants, giving hair some much-needed moisture, and the apricot kernel oil is full of fatty acids, which restore shine and nourishment. Whether you’re taking precautionary measures, or need to right some wrongs, just spray this bad boy while you’re hair is still damp and continue styling as you normally would. Easy!
5. Wella Professionals Sun Protection: For the thicker-haired honeys out there, let us introduce you to the sun protection cream that works in two phases. First, the product is applied evenly to damp tresses and immediately begins guarding all hair types — curly, wavy, straight — from the elements. Then, during phase two, you’ll start to notice intense hydration thanks to a special vitamin complex andPanthenol. Doesn’t leave hair greasy or sticky — perfect for those days where a wash and style isn’t in the cards.Tags: eunice chun, hair, hair spf, hair sunscreen, kerastase, sarah st lifer, SPF, summer, sun, sun protection, sun protection for hair, sunscreen, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment, thebeautydepartment.com