BEST FLOWERS FOR HAIR
Truth be told, we haven’t dug up dirt since those elementary school days of (literal) mud pies. If anything, our green thumb has more of a reddish tint from the dye job we just completed. But, just because we’re novice gardeners doesn’t mean we can’t indulge in the hair accessory trend du jour, a.k.a. a floral embellishment. Sure, there are faux bands and barrettes available at your nearest mall, but what’s worse than swaying to your fave song at an outdoor concert, only to discover a fellow festival-goer’s rocking the same set of roses? Exactly.
Courtesy of the local flower mart, we’ve mapped out the best buds* for any summer style. Surely, even the shrinking violets out there will lust over these lush options.
*NOTE: When looking for the right flowers, choose ones that have a half-moon shaped profile so that the base will lay flat against your head and not stick out too far.
THE MAIN EVENT:
1. Peony: Rarely will you step foot into the TBD offices and not spot one of these fragrant fellows in a vintage vase. We’re obsessed! Plus, if they’re good enough for Marc Jacobs, they’re good enough for us! (See: Resort 2013)
2. Garden Rose: Surrounded by its own petals, the garden rose is certainly a sight for sore eyes — that’s if you can get a good look at one during your next jaunt to the flower mart! We stumbled upon this stunner, but it took some digging — only one super green-thumbed flora fan at the market had ’em for sale, and it cost us a pretty penny. Trust, it was well-worth the extra cash!
3. Chrysanthemum: New Yorkers may refer to them as “deli flowers,” but there’s a good reason these ultra-vibrant and petalicious (for the sake of the story, we made up the word!) blooms are so popular — they’re super easy to grow and maintain. Grab some seeds from the local hardware store and get going!
4. Ranunculus: If you’re on the hunt for a long-lasting bud in notice-me hues, you’ve come to the right place. Super saturated pinks, purples, and oranges are par for the course, but if you’re searching for something more subtle, don’t fret! There are paler colors as well.
5. Spray Rose: Smaller in size, these petite roses are ideal for crafts that require more miniature blooms. Popular during prom season for boutonnieres, we prefer to plant these darlings in row and fashion a crown fit for any warm-weather fete.
6. Anemone: One of the prettiest wedding bouquets we ever laid eyes on was one made up of white anemones with dark centers. You better believe we caught that sucker when the bride tossed it away, then tucked one behind our ear for good measure!
7. Pernetiana: As the unofficial ombre flower of the bunch, the Pernetiana is filled with potential. We love that each flower features its own set of faded hues — ideal for those readers who aren’t strangers to dyes.
8. Scabiosa: We’ll be completely honest with you, part of the reason we fell in love with this tiny bloom was because of its alternative title: the pincushion flower. And, if a butterfly starts trailing you from Stage 1 to Stage 2, don’t be alarmed — these flowers are rich in nectar and those winged creatures can’t help themselves!
THE SIDE SHOW:
1. Artemisias: Nicknamed “Dusty Miller,” you should totally snatch up these Artemisias if you spot them during your next flower mart jaunt. Case in point: they bloom from July to late August. Your fresh hair accessory just became a limited edition piece!
2. Eucalyptus: Sure, back-to-back outdoor events may amp up your indie cred, but that doesn’t give you permission to avoid showers between shows. Hide any odor by weaving some of these leaves into your next hair piece. Trust, you still need to pack the dry shampoo — sorry!
3. Lady’s Mantle: Don’t sweat if you suddenly find yourself in a misty moment — thanks to the fuzzy texture, these old-fashioned flowers hold water droplets for a gemstone effect. This phenomenon is even more spectacular when the plant is woven into a pretty braid.
4. Solidaster: We love buying these stems before the buds bloom, and incorporating the sunny hue with blue or purple flowers. The color combo pretty much guarantees a street style snap or two.
5. Hypericum: Berries aren’t just for jams this season! And brides-to-be, listen up! If you’re looking to add an unexpected element to your wedding ‘do, just wrap these around a headband for a pearl-like effect.
6. Statice: Detail oriented? Then we’ve found the flower for you! Though not very flashy, they’re gorgeous on their own or in a group. Our favorite way to wear ’em is tucked into a bobby pin — lovely and low-maintenance!
7. Feverfew: These yellow and white flowers are actually the product of a medicinal herb — hence that name Feverfew, which translates to “fever reducer.” Make like Drew Barrymore in the ’90s and scatter some of these tiny daisy-wannabes in your updo.
8. Queen Anne’s Lace: The best way to upgrade that low ponytail? Tie some Queen Anne’s lace into the elastic. Secured at the nape of your next, the touch of white is complimentary for everyone from blondes to brunettes to redheads.