SMOKY EYE WITH ONLY LINER
This isn’t just a lifesaver in an emergency, creamy chunky liners actually give a smoky eye a whole new look, texture and finish that you can’t get with shadow. I don’t recommend painting your entire lid with a liner; it’s way too much product layering and will end up creasing and streaking. So try this method instead! I’ve done it on photo shoots, the red carpet and on myself and it will not crease.
- Your favorite chunky eyeliner — just make sure it isn’t too long-wearing (they don’t have enough slip to them to blend). My favorites are NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencils, Tarte SmolderEYES Amazonian Clay Pencils, Sue Devitt Eye Intensifier Pencils and Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow Pencils.
- A dome-headed blending brush — I love the NARS #12 Brush but you can use any eyeshadow blending brush (go for shorter bristles that are densely packed and not too fluffy).
- Your favorite mascara — right now I’m obsessed with Smashbox Photo Op Eye Brightening Mascara because the blue prisms in the formula make the whites of your eyes look whiter!
- Draw back and forth on the back of your hand in a square or circle.
- Swirl the brush in the product to really load it up.
- Start by sweeping the brush along the crease from the inner corner out just past the outer corner.
- Next fill in the entire lid by sweeping the brush back and forth. You shouldn’t have to go back and fill up for more product but no biggie if you have to.
- Then add a couple coats of mascara.
- This step is optional, but you can go back and trace the lashline with the pencil for concentrated definition.