Over the past decades or so it seems like sources for beauty products (both pro and not-so-pro) have multiplied in a way that’s almost overwhelming. It’s hard to tell which spots have the goods and which ones just have a good facade. As professional hair + makeup artists we search high and low, online and offline, for the best products at all price points and we want to share our resources with you guys. Here we go!
(Click the name to be taken to the source!)
1. Favorite Nail Polish Sources:
- Beauty.com – great range of polish brands in one spot. They always seem to have the ones that are hard to find.
- American Apparel – plain + simple, they just have great color options.
- Wilshire Beauty Supply – fave spot in LA for new trend releases when I want to see them in person. (They also have the best nail tools!)
- Sephora - an obvious leader in the nail trends game.
2. Favorite Makeup Brush Sources:
- Hakuhodu – some of the finest brushes in the world.
- Cozette – Vegan! Love!
- Make Up For Ever – available at Sephora.com, and Make Up For Ever Boutiques.
3. Favorite Bobby Pin Sources:
- Image Exclusives in LA – a great range of bobby pins, u-pins, roller pins, etc…
- Sally’s Beauty Supply - actually carries some of the strongest holding pins out there!
- Shear World - Where the pros go to get their fancy bobby pins.
4. Best High-end, Middle-end + Affordable Products All In One Place:
- ULTA- from Frederic Fakkai to Wella to Tresemme they have it all. It’s like hair, makeup, skin + nail heaven. They also stock a large range of Hot Tool curling irons which are our favorite. (BTW- We snag codes from Robot Oatmeal to get discounts + free shipping at Ulta!)
5. Best Fragrance Shop On Earth:
- Scent Bar on Beverly Blvd in LA or find them online at luckyscent.com if you can’t make it there! The fragrance MECCA! Intoxicating candles, too!
6. Pro Beauty Supplies (All great spots for hair + makeup artists specializing in TV/Film, or anyone who just wants to get in on the goods!):
- Nigel’s Beauty Emporium
- Cinema Secrets
- Image Exclusives
- Japanese Beauty Supply Stores like Tokyo Japanese Outlet on Sawtelle Blvd. They can be hard to find, but they carry the coolest lashes and most inventive beauty tools around.
7. Best Department Stores for Makeup: (We love big department stores because they let you try almost anything before you buy!)
- Bergdorf’s – in-store + online.
- Henri Bendel’s – in-store + online.
- Bloomingdales – – in-store + online.
- Nordstrom - in-store + online.
- Macy’s – good source for Clairsonics + Brush sets, often on sale! In-store + online.
- Neiman Marcus - in-store + online. Love their beauty replenishment service! If you run out of something (like foundation or powder) every month or two, you can set a date and they’ll automatically send you a new one!
8. Best Places To Shop Drug Store Brands:
- Target - There’s nothing better for drugstore beauty, really. Have you guys checked out the new Target City’s that are popping up??? They. Are. Amazing! We also love that Target it expanding it’s natural lines like Burt’s Bees as well as their products for CURLY HAIRED GIRLS, like Mixed Chicks and Miss Jessies! HOORAY!!
- Drugstore.com (go to the drugstore without leaving the house.)
9. Best Place To Find Cool New Trends In Beauty:
- We’re going with Sephora because they usually lock down the cool new stuff first and make it available to all of us, no matter where we live.
- Also check out all of the Pro Beauty Supplies listed in #6.
10. Best Place For Hair Chalks:
11. Best Place To Find Hot Tools:
12. Nail Art Wheels (good for practicing your skills before doing them on yourself, and fun to build a collection of nail art wheels!)
13. Best Airbrush Makeup Machine:
14. Best Travel Products:
- 3floz.com – they carry travel sizes of most of the brands we use and love! No more mess with filling bottles!
15. Best Nail Brands For New Trends:
Got a secret source you want to add? Please do so below! We want to hear them all, no matter where you live!Tags: amy nadine, beauty, beauty sourcing, beauty supplies, beauty supply, best beauty supplies, best beauty supply stores, favorite, find, hair, kristin ess, makeup, source, supply, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com