ENCOURAGING YOUR WAVES
This quick tip is dedicated to all you gorgeous gals with “almost there but not quite” waves. Tons of TBD readers have mentioned they have hair that’s perfectly wavy on the bottom but gets straight-ish on the top. Some have color damage and some just have 2 textures going on. Today we’re sharing our favorite method for bringing it all together! Sure, you could always use our BRAID METHOD, but sometimes you just want to wear your hair with your OWN natural wave! Plus, it’s fun to be able to work with what you’ve (almost) got so here we go!
You will need: Setting clips, tissue paper (I didn’t want to put tissue paper in the photo because it would have blocked too much of the pattern, but you can put a tiny piece of tissue under each clip to avoid creases!), setting spray (we love John Frieda Curl Defining Spray ($6) and Ouidad Styling Mist ($16), light serum like Moroccan Oil Light (small $16.60).
- Air dry your hair as you normally would. Try not to brush your hair after you get out of the shower!
- Once it’s 85% dry, lightly mist the top layer with your setting spray.
- Use your tissue paper and clips to set the waves in place. Try to match the pattern of your own natural waves below. It shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes to get these in place!
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes while you get dressed/do your makeup. If you need to, use your blowdryer on low and give it a little heat help. Make sure you use a nozzle and that your dryer is pointed down toward the floor to avoid frizz.
- Once you remove the clips, add a little bit of a light serum to your ends and a quick veil of light hold hairspray.
If your hair is super-straight on top, this might not work for you but it’s worth a shot! You may find that your top layer just needed a little more support!