I’ve been seduced by colored mascara since my middle school dance (where I wore pink mascara on my top lashes and yellow on my bottom lashes only to regret it in the gymnasium bathroom mirror!) but I’ve never been truly happy with the color payoff. It always ends up being more of a hint of color in certain lighting but not truly like it promises in its packaging. Which brings us to today’s DIY project! Why not make our own colored mascara with liquid liner? It’s just too easy. Here’s how:
- Colored Liquid Liner — my favorites are Lime Crime Uniliners for their incredible intensity and color payoff (I used Orchidaceous Purple above but the green or the blue would be gorgeous too!).
- Light Silver Eyeshadow (optional) — I used Armani Beauty Eyes To Kill Eyeshadow in Moonlight to create a light reflecting backdrop, helping the purple stand out even more.
- Eyeshadow Brush (optional) — You can certainly use your fingers to apply this type of eyeshadow as well.
- Paint one lash at a time with the liquid liner. Work from the root to the tip. I paint both sides so when you blink or bat your lashes, they’re purple all around.
- Paint the bottom lashes as well. Don’t worry about the underside, obviously!
- If you want to take it a step further, add a light backdrop to help the lashes really stand out. I chose light silver but you could also do white, or our DIY Rose Gold Tutorial.
You can pair it with a light pink lip for a sweet look or do my personal favorite and pair it with a red lip from our TBD Color Clash story.