NATURAL MAKEUP HAS COME A LONG WAY!
Just five years ago, I couldn’t have done makeup on the red carpet using only natural products. The ingredients were great, but they either didn’t hold up or offer enough of a range. But so not the case now! Last night I had the total pleasure of doing Emily Deschanel’s makeup for the Golden Globes and knew when prepping my kit that I could only bring natural products as she is vegan and very conscious of what she puts in and on her body. As far as I’m concerned, nothing was sacrificed in doing so and no one would ever know the difference! When I got home I laid out the products and snapped a picture to show you exactly what I used:
- Primavera Neroli Cassis Protective Lotion — Certified with 70% organic plant ingredients and never tested on animals, I used this amazing smelling lotion to invigorate Emily’s skin.
- Melvita Nectar de Rose Day Cream — Moroccan Rose repairs skin damage, Iranian Rose Flower Water soothes, Chilean Wild Rose Oil is rich in essential fatty acids to nourish and regenerate the skin. Heaven in a bottle!
- Illuminare Fast Application Pad — This puff was created with an anti-bacterial mesh center and I used it by pressing the foundation into the skin in a stippling motion.
- Illuminare Concealing Mineral Foundation — Emily actually introduced this product to me last year and I’ve switched a lot of my clients to it since. It gives incredible coverage without looking like you’re wearing a mask.
- Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Mineral Powder — With plankton and seaweed extracts and no oil, talc, FD&C dyes, synthetic preservatives or fragrance, this powder is actually good for your skin. I applied it on Emily with a powder brush.
- Zuzu Luxe Blush in Sunset — Zuzu is a vegan line that I discovered at Pharmaca that is paraben free and replaces it with a grape seed extract. I applied it directly on the apples of her cheeks with a swirling motion of the brush.
- Winks by Georgie La Starlette Faux Lashes + Lash Glue — The botanically-infused glue is formaldehyde-free but still holds strong all night.
- Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay Mascara — This mascara has been a staple in my kit since it first came on the scene because it gives full volume in one coat!
- Zuzu Liquid Liner in Black Pearl — Not only do I love this liner for its bright intensity but also for its user-friendly applicator tip. Because it is ophthalmologist tested, hypo-allergenic, fragrance free and water resistant, I lined not only Emily’s upper and lower lashlines but also her inner waterlines with it.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Cream Shadow in Shimmering Bronze — formulated with Amazonian clay, carnauba wax, mineral pigments, and vitamins A and E and somehow is waterproof too. When the cameras cut to Emily crying during Jodie Foster’s acceptance speech, my heart stopped for a second that her eye makeup would run, but it didn’t budge!
- Zuzu Luxe Lipstick in Sazerac — This lead-free moisturizing lipstick feels super luxurious on and has just the right amount of shimmer. I love that they blended soothing, clean all natural ingredients, such as spring water, herbs and vitamins as well as rare and exotic essential oils.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Kava Kava — another vegan line that actually outperforms regular lip glosses with its highly-pigmented lead-free formula. Just remember a little goes a long way, so I applied a pinhead-size with a lip brush on top of the lipstick.
There’s a brilliant site called Good Guide that serves as a reference whenever you want to look up a product and see how good or bad it is for you. It even has a 0 – 12 rating system and breaks it down further to health, environment and society factors so look for products that are as high as possible if those are issues that matter to you.