This beauty how-to is for those of you who’ve always been curious to know if you can pull off a vamp lip but not enough to buy anything. Well get this: all you need is your black kohl eyeliner pencil (yes you heard right!). It’s one of the oldest methods in makeup and has quite the payoff. Plus I wanted to show you the whole look so you can see there is a feminine and fun way to do it. I’m hoping you’ll be surprised at how wearable a dark vamp lip actually is and it might even open the door to a whole world of dark lipsticks for you. Here’s how:
- Black kohl eyeliner pencil — I used this Sephora Collection Kohl Pencil on Taye because it’s super smudge-able and blendable.
- Lip gloss — I used this Lancôme Juicy Tube but you can also use any gloss (even clear) because the black foundation is already powerful.
- Lip brush — this Stila Lip Brush has been one of my favorites for years because of its short + angled bristles and because it’s portable.
- Gold cream or powder eyeshadow — I used this Maybelline Colour Tattoo but if you want a powder version, try this Shiseido Shadow.
- Black liquid liner — I used this Benefit Magic Ink Liner because it doesn’t feather and the handle is really user friendly.
- Red metallic liquid liner (optional) — obsessed with the Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner that I used above.
- Mascara — I used this soft and pet-able Bobbi Brown Mascara because it won’t smudge.
- Nude blush — I used Chanel Blush in Orchid Rose as it’s the only nude I’ve used on my clients for a couple years now.
- Blush brush — This NARS Yachiyo Brush #27 is my favorite to swirl precisely on the apples of the cheeks but it’s definitely an investment so you can of course use your favorite blush brush.
- Start by outlining the lip with the black kohl pencil then fill in the entire area.
- Apply the gloss with a lip brush so you can blend in any black smudges.
- Apply the gold cream shadow all over the lid + crease with your finger. You can absolutely substitute this with a gold powder shadow if that’s what you have on hand.
- Apply the red metallic liquid liner along the lashline from the inner corner to the outer corner then winged out and up. You can substitute it with a dark purple liquid liner if you like the idea of liner with two colors, or just draw the whole line + wing with the black liquid liner.
- Draw a line below the red liner with a black liquid liner to sharpen it and make it more interesting.
- Add a coat of mascara.
Swirl the nude blush over the apples of your cheeks to bring a little life to this strong statement.