DIY: SPARKLING STAR HAIR CLIPS
Tis almost the holiday season, friends! Too often we busy bees are under-prepared for all the parties, all the photos + all the gift giving. This DIY will help us look lovely and stay ahead of schedule.
I was in Anthropologie the other day. I LIVE for that place, but you can easily rack up a major bill… fast. For the last couple years I’ve been buying these sparkly, flower-shaped hair clips. They’re stunning, but they’re $20-30 each. It’s cute to make a cluster of them behind a topknot or above a chignon, but it would cost a fortune if you bought that many. Let’s save some money and make them ourselves, shall we? This way you’re ahead of the gal pal gift-giving game and/or you’ll have something around that you can quickly clip in your hair for some sparkle when you’re running behind for a holiday fête! Here we go!
- Get some sparkly appliques from a sewing supply store, fabric store or craft store.
- Ask someone in the fabric store for swatches of fabric that compliment your sparkly applique.
- Get a pack of snap clips.
- Trace around the applique, leaving an excess 1/4″ on each side.
- Cut just inside your mark so there’s no pen marks on the fabric you’re going to use.
- Lay your clip on the back of the fabric and make a mark at the base of the clip.
- Cut a little slit.
- Slide the clip through.
- After you slide the clip through, flip it over and hot glue the base and tip to the fabric.
- Now set the applique over the side where you see the top of the clip (see photo 10).
- Trim and perfect the edges.
- Hot glue the applique to the fabric.
Exchange these with all your girls and compile your own eclectic mix. Let’s see the ones you make! Tweet us a photo @TBDofficial.