Lately I’ve noticed lots of emails coming in with requests for shoulder-length hair tutorials. And while this tutorial is nothing different than the braided bun from last week, I wanted to show you just how do-able these tutorials are even if you don’t have long hair. We always want everyone to have a fair shot at looking gorgeous and just because it’s done on a girl with longer hair doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give it a try! The best part about any hair tutorial is modifying it and making it your own, right? I love when people tweet us a picture of a tutorial they tried where they added their own twist. It may not come out exactly the same, but it could sprout inspiration for something really cute! So let me show you how to get the “Hot Crossed Bun” look on short hair…
- Use a 1″ barrell curling iron to give the hair some wave when you’re trying to do an updo or chignon on short or fine hair. This will give it texture and bulk it up so you have more to work with.
- Add a little water-based texturizing pomade to the root for even more visible texture and bulk. You can see that her fine hair looks full in this photo, right? Now you have something to work with!
- Split the hair right behind your ears and push the front sections forward. Take the whole middle section/back and put it in a clear elastic.
- Wrap that into a little mini or messy bun. Just see what your hair will do. Every short haircut will do something a little different. If you need to add some hairspray to help, go for it! We did.
- Now do an inside-out french braid from the hair line back toward the bun. It’s okay if little pieces pop out. You can pin them at the end.
- Tuck the ends of the braid into the bun and secure it using a bobbypin or two or three.
- Repeat the previous braid on the other side and pin it into the bun as well.
- Pull some soft pieces out around the hair line for a more romantic vibe. Then pin in and spray any little unwanted pieces that might pop out.
GIVE IT A TRY! xoTags: beauty, bob, bob hair styles, bob hairstyles, braid, braids, bun, chignon, cute styles for short hair, hair, how to, kristin ess, kristin ess hair, lob, short hair, short hair ideas, step by step, style, styling, styling short hair, summer, the beauty department, thebeautydepartment.com, tutorial, wedding hair