You might have seen the 1990′s brown lip that I did on Sarah Hyland at the VMA’s last month (if not, check it out here), or Kylie Jenner sporting it around town. It’s a little grunge-y and a lot bold… and kind of a blow off to the sweet and innocent pink lip pop. Honestly, I don’t know why we ever took a break from it and I’m so thrilled it’s on its way back, hopefully this time for good! Here’s how to achieve it and an eye to pair it with:
- A Brown-ish Lip Liner — Ok, for Sarah Hyland I filled in her entire lip area with Stila Cosmetics Smudgestick Eyeliner in Sienna and sent her on her way. And you can absolutely do that too! But for a universally-wearable version that I did on Lexie above, try Edward Bess Defining Lip Liner in Natural, a nude with brown undertones. Of course there’s always the iconic MAC Spice Liner that started it all too!
- A Brown-ish Lipstick — I used Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G. Lipstick in Stoned Rose because it reminds me of Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford back when supermodels ruled the world. If you have a medium to dark skin tone, try MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Natural Lipstick in Icy Brown.
- A Sienna Brown Eye Shadow — I used the Sienna shade from one of my new favorite palettes, the Anastasia Beverly Hills Maya Mia Palette.
- Start by lining the perimeter of the lip with the lip liner.
- Continue filling in the entire lip area with the same lip liner.
- Now grab the lipstick and press hard as you apply two coats (this is not a sheer look so don’t be afraid to load it up!).
- Apply the sienna shadow all over the upper lid and crease.
- Apply the same shadow along the bottom lid, exaggerating it so it’s half of the lid, not just the lower lashline.
- Add a coat of mascara and you’re good to go!
If this eye is a little too grunge-y for you, pair it with a more defined eye like I did earlier this month for a Charlotte Russe campaign (see it here).