photos/sponsored post: Kristin Ess (in collaboration with Pantene)
It feels like every time you walk down the hair aisle at your favorite store, there’s something epic and new, doesn’t it? As a stylist, I think that’s cool, as I’m very into mixing hair and technology. Hair products are always evolving and styling products in particular are constantly one-upping themselves. Never in a million did I think I’d see the day when alcohol-free aerosol hairspray would be a thing. Last month, Pantene introduced just that. It’s called AIRSPRAY and it’s the first alcohol-free aerosol styling product on the market. Needless to say we had to try it to see what it could actually do. We did our own kind of experiment– three-styles-in-two-days kind of experiment. Here’s how that went down…
- First things first, we gave it the undone wave test. This hair was airdried without product, and then we did some loose waves using a 1 1/4″ barrel, then sprayed with THIS HAIRSPRAY. We scrunched it in and loosely broke up the waves using just our fingers, no brush.
- As you can clearly see, separation was good and waves became a bit fuller. The hair didn’t feel product-y at all, but did take a teeny bit longer to evaporate (obvs because there’s no alcohol) but we were down to wait.
- Happy to report that after spraying one light veil all over, the hair was still soft to the touch.
- Our next mane move happens that same day. Sunday evening dinner with girlfranz. The cool thing about AIRSPRAY is that you can layer it without the hair starting to feel “crunchy” or dry.
- We created a single cornrow down the center of the hair. Once you get to the nape of the neck, tie it off with a clear elastic. (Grab a friend who can braid if you can’t do this part yourself.)
- Next, join the sides together in a low ponytail and bind it all together using another elastic. Your waves may or may not need another light layer of spray! We did! Still touchable and soft, btw.
- Use your tail comb to smooth down any flyaway hairs around your face.
- Here’s how this looks from the front. I know you want to know! I was very curious about how it would look from the front when we started this. You can hardly see anything which is rad because when you turn around it’s like OH HAIIIII!
- Okay, now let’s say you have a really long night for one reason or another, ya know? And let’s say Monday morning you have to pull yourself together for work kind of early. Good news is, you can still keep working with this look and you don’t have to wash your hair. YAAAAAY!
- Take the outside rubberband out but not the second one. Keep the braid in place.
- Take a smoothing brush, spray a little more of that AIRSPRAY goodness on the brush. Now smooth the hair back into a sleek low pony and secure it with an elastic.
- Add a light mist of spray on to the ponytail and twist.
- Coil that sleek pony into a bun and secure. Once you’ve done that, you can smooth out any fly-aways using a little more spray.
It’s pretty cool that you can keep on keepin’ on with an alcohol-free AIRSPRAY without the fear of major dryness. If you end up trying it or if you already have, tell us what you think! Were you able to layer it? Brush it? Re-style with it? You can also review it on Pantene.com.
Hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. Which of these 3 looks is your favorite? Considering it’s Valentine’s (0r) Gal-entine’s Day weekend, this could come in extra handy if you have to work on Monday morning, AMIRIGHT?