Written by: Sarah St. Lifer, Graphic Design: Eunice Chun
Today is July 3rd, which means all you last-minute party people are stocking up on hot dog buns, burger patties, and ketchup for tomorrow’s festivities. And, while we’d never encourage you to ditch the traditional BBQ fare, we thought now would be an appropriate time to introduce you to our latest obsession: the summer salad. This one, which we crafted with all sorts of fruits and veggies, is the perfect dish to pair with all those finger foods you’ll be munching on come tomorrow afternoon. Each ingredient works overtime, keeping you full and feeling good. Now, if only that extra helping of mac n cheese had the same effect!
- Strawberries – Feeling under the weather? Snack on some strawberries! Rich in vitamin C, the delicious fruit doubles as an immunity booster and a fast-acting antioxidant.
- Grapefruit - Low in calories and high in fiber, grapefruit is an obvious addition to any summer dish. Just in time for swimsuit season, it increases the body’s metabolic rate, leaving you feeling fuller for much longer.
- Cantaloupe - Prone to breakouts from stress and anxiety? Chow down on cantaloupe — since it’s packed with potassium (a mineral which normalizes heartbeat and promotes supply of oxygen to the brain) fans of the fruit feel more relaxed and focused.
- Walnuts - If bad hair days have become the norm, add walnuts to your diet. As an excellent source of biotin, the nutrient strengthens tresses and promotes quicker hair growth.
- Heirloom Tomatoes - Boasting serious amounts of Lycopene, heirloom tomatoes are known for lowering the risk of cancer. The more colorful, the more Lycopene — so don’t be shy.
- Sugar Snap Peas - A veggie after our own heart! Not only are sugar snap peas fat-free, but they’re a good source of folate, a.k.a. a vitamin that helps achieve good heart health.
- Blueberries - Ranked numero uno in the world of antioidants (blueberries feature anthocyanin, vitamin C, B complex, vitamin E, vitamin A, copper, selenium, zinc, and iron… just to name a few!), there’s no denying the fruit’s appeal. Did we mention the superfood keeps skin looking super firm?
- Yogurt Cheese Crumbles - Considering yogurt cheese is more concentrated than a regular cup of yogurt, each serving offers additional relief from dry skin. Sprinkle away!
Underneath all that, don’t forget these little guys:
- Avocado – Don’t be frightened by the fact that avocados are full of monounsaturated fat — when eaten in moderation, the compounds reduce inflammation, giving you glowing skin.
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts - A great way to add protein to any meal, brussel sprouts help prevent hair loss and restore healthy, vibrant strands.
And make sure to top the whole thing off with:
- Oranges - These guys are an obvious go-to for vitamin C.
- Coconut Oil drizzle - This raises the metabolic rate and therefore helps the body burn fat more effectively.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – When you add this to any dish or drink, you’re instantly giving your body a tiny detox by maintaining a healthy alkaline pH level.
Now with all the beauty benefits you’re getting from every bite in this salad, you surely won’t want to miss out on trying out this healthy summer dish!