We know that we may have to pry the Starbucks mugs out of your hands, but coffee is taking a back seat and TEA is riding shotgun for this post! Now, tea is definitely not a new kid on the block and has been around for centuries…with very good reason. Whether you warm it up, or ice it down, tea can be such a comforting and refreshing drink that is customizable to your liking and the health and beauty benefits are well worth your attention. So cups out and pinkies up…it’s tea time!
First, let us encourage you to explore the wonderful world of buying loose leaf tea. Bags are for the birds, y’all. More often than not, tea bags are made with the leftover particles of over processed tea leaves and you may not be getting the full bang for your buck. If you can, go to your local tea store and shop for loose leaf that you can steep yourself and store in a cute tin! Going this route also gives you some major DIY opportunities. Mix your loose leaf tea with things like dried lavender, dried fruit, and herbs before you steep for a unique twist. We also LOVE adding freshness to our iced/hot tea, post brew, like citrus, fresh mint and fruit (cherries are bomb). Like the sweeter things in life? Add some agave nectar or honey to sweeten things up au naturale!
We’ve chosen and broken down some of our favorite kinds of tea that are heavy on the health and beauty benefits and don’t fall short in the flavor department…
1. OOLONG TEA: In addition to combating free-radicals and hydrating the skin, oolong tea is a major stress buster. If you suffer from stress related breakouts or skin irritations, drinking oolong can help alleviate mood swings. Stress less = happy skin!
2. ROOIBOS TEA: Rooibos can be enjoyed anytime of day, but many people choose to drink it before bedtime as it can help with insomnia due to its high mineral content and lack of caffeine. It can help you feel caaaalm and relaxed! All we heard in that sentence was BEAUTY SLEEP.
3. GREEN TEA: Probably the most well-known of the tea bunch. In addition to being a natural metabolism booster (hello energy!), Green tea contains an antioxidant known as polyphenols which fight against free radicals. What this means is it helps fight against aging and promotes longevity of the skins elasticity.
4. BLACK TEA: Black tea has the most full bodied flavor of all the teas and contains the same miracle polyphenols as green tea…another anti-oxidant boost (which your skin will love!). The tannins in black tea can also improve blood circulation and fight bacteria in your body which can be beneficial if you are blemish prone.
5. WHITE TEA: Recent studies reveal indicators that white tea helps skin cells by boosting immune systems when exposed to harmful ultraviolet radiation. While we DON’T recommend not wearing SPF, we can appreciate any extra help in protecting and preventing our skin from sun damage.
Are you a frequent steeper or have a tea fave? Let us know in the comments below!
Cheers to your health, darlings!