My favorite lip trend of the year so far on the runways, style blogs and red carpets is (of course) the deep mahogany lip. It’s also called a wine lip (or cabernet or burgundy) or a vamp lip. But this one is a little less purple-based and a little more brown/red based. Anyway, I have yet to find a skin tone that it doesn’t look gorgeous on! Typically it’s paired with a more simple eye (as not to compete with it), but I wanted to show on my friend Charlene that you can pair it with a smoky eye as well. Here’s how to rock it yourself:
- Your Favorite Mahogany Lipstick — I love this Dark & Stormy shade ($$$), this Night Crimson shade ($$), this Ingrid shade ($$) and this budget-friendly lipstick ($) in Monarch.
- A Matching Lip Pencil — Charlene used this Blood Roses shade ($$) but you can also try this Wine shade($).
- A Hydrating Lip Balm —
- I assume it’s a given that you’ll prep with a moisturizing lip balm, but just in case, this is not the time to forget! So apply it, work on the rest of your face while it penetrates then lightly blot it off. Next grab the lip pencil and line the perimeter of the lip area.
- Continue by filling in the entire lip area with the lip pencil.
- Now apply the lipstick directly on top thickly. Press hard to really coat it. If you want to make it last longer, blot it with a tissue and add one more coat.
I’m not sure if you follow my career but I had the pleasure of creating this lip on Krysten Ritter (aka Jessica Jones!) last month at the Costumer Designers’ Guild Awards and used this matte version in Glastonbury ($$).