Friends… our videos are back! Hooray!!! First up is the fishtail braid. The hardest thing about doing a fishtail braid on yourself is getting it started. In this video, I’m giving you one of my favorite secret tricks… start with a clear elastic then cut it out at the end. By starting with a clear elastic at the top, you never have to worry about holding 4 confusing pieces together to get your braid going. You can just go straight into it!
Tools: 2 clear elastics, scissors, patience.
- For a smoother braid, brush your hair out first. For a messier braid, leave the natural texture and separate the hair with your fingers.
- Create a ponytail using a clear elastic.
- Split the ponytail into two separate pieces.
- Take a piece from the first side and pass it to the 2nd side.
- Next take a piece from the 2nd side and pass it back to the 1st side.
- Once you’ve finished your braid, go in with your scissors and CAREFULLY cut the clear elastic at the top.
- Optional: gently pull on the pieces to loosen it up if you wish!
When you’re fishtail braiding, don’t think too hard! You’re simply making X’s. Also, remember that when you take the little piece from one side and pass it to the other side, you don’t need to keep track of it. Now get to it and show us what you’ve got! Tweet photos of your fishtails to us on twitter @TBDofficial.
Xx Kristin Ess