Everyone is all about this 90’s inspired hair flip right now and we’re not gonna lie– it makes us pretty happy. And while some can really nail that flip naturally, others may need a little help. Today we’re going to show you exactly how we achieve a flip with volume, wave and hold. Here we go…
- You’re probably going to need some mousse at the root. If you need more volume and lift, this will be essential. We’ve been crushin’ on THIS ONE because it’s got good hold and gives great separation without being too product-y. A little bit goes a long way. We’re able to do all our roots with this one handful.
- The trick to a great hair flip is to blow dry everything and curl everything the opposite way that you want to wear it. So for example, if you plan to flip your hair to the right, you’ll want to do all these steps with your hair going to the left. Then you’ll switch it up at step 7! Okay, so use your blow dryer (on a non-ionic setting if yours comes with the option, as ionic dryers tend to smooth more than create volume) and give some lift with your fingers at the root. Flip from side to side as you dry and even flip upside down for a minute or two. You just want to get all of the hair lifted up and going away from the scalp.
- Use MY NEW FAVORITE WAND to create some soft subtle waves.
- You’ll need a nice large hair pin like THIS ONE.
- After your hair is all waved up, wrap it into a very high bun and push the pin through. Let that set while you get ready. This creates additional volume because the hair is now directed upward and cooling/setting while you get ready.
- When you’re dressed and makeup is done and you’re ready to roll, take the pin out and let the hair fall. Give it a good veil of light old hairspray.
- Flip everything to the opposite direction!
- Give it one more good round of hairspray… because it’s 1997.
Are you flipping out?? Show us your hair flip please!! Tag us @TheBeautyDept on the gram, okay!?