Not all who wand are lost… When it comes to the wand, instructions are pretty straight forward: wrap your hair around the wand starting closest to the root and wrap your way to the ends without burning your fingers off. I always let the hair naturally twist as I wrap the hair, but there are different ways to do it which we showed you a while ago HERE. So what happens when the hair comes out of the wand and you have this perfect coil? There are actually lots of things you can do and we spent some time last week shooting my 5 favorites…
By the way, if you don’t have a curling wand, it’s time to get one! Here are some goods…
- NUME INTERCHANGEABLE WAND you can make any type of wave on any type of hair with this!
- HOT TOOLS FLIPPERLESS IRON great on all types, very budget friendly.
- TIGI WAND (THIS IS THE ONE WE USED) this one has worked so well for so long, fully recommend it. Also budget friendly.
- T3 INTERCHANGEABLE TWIRL WAND super fance pants. if you’re ready to invest in an amazing wand that does all the work for you, this is the one.
WAND WAVING (NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT)
- Prep the hair with your favorite HEAT PROTECTANT before waving with the wand.
- Wrap small to medium (about 1″) sections around the wand from root to ends, getting as close to the ends as possible without burning your fingers obviously!
- Release the hair and let it all cool for a couple minutes.
- Choose a method below for styling!
- Comb through with your fingers only, no brushing necessary.
- Add APRES BEACH SPRAY for light separation.
SOFT BRUSHED WAVES…
- Once the hair has been curled and cooled, start brushing with a CUSHION BRUSH until you see a pattern form.
- Add weightless shine using a DRY OIL SPRAY.
- Once you have curled and cooled the hair, brush everything out using a CUSHION BRUSH.
- Use an adjustable temperature FLAT IRON at medium temp (about 350) and gently and quickly tap the waves from root to ends. Or if you’re not super coordinated with the flat iron, turn it on a low setting (in the 200’s) and quickly slide the iron through the hair.
- Use a lightweight STYLING CREAM to finish off this laid back look + give it the perfect amount of separation.
EVERY DAY WAVES…
- Once you’ve waved a section using your wand, gently tug on it while it’s still hot. That will slightly loosen the coil.
- After you’ve curled and cooled everything, brush everything out using your CUSHION BRUSH.
- Mix a pea-sized dab of POMADE with a drop of SERUM together in the palm of your hands. Scrunch into the hair starting in the middle and working your way down.
- Start by doing the exact same steps from from the photo above (Every Day Waves).
- Next, take your BLOWDRYER with the nozzle off, flip your head upside down and “stir” the hair with cold air. In other words, create little circles at the scalp using your blowdryer on the cold setting.
- Flip head right-side-up and add a little TEXTURE SPRAY.