Because makeup looks much better on a smooth and clear surface, I spend a lot of time researching anything and everything that I can get my hands on in the world of skincare. And I mean everything! After trying it all, the biggest advances I’ve found so far are these. Why? Because how many times have you had an amazing facial and wished you could do the same at home? When you do something weekly instead of monthly in the case of microdermabrasion, or nightly instead of monthly in the case of blue or red LED light therapy, the results are exponentially bigger! Not to mention the money you save. Let’s walk through each one:
- This handheld device ($138, used on Rachel above) is my favorite because it comes with four interchangeable diamond tips (delicate, standard, firm and bold) that really tackle fine lines and wrinkles and exfoliate off dead skin cells. I’ve also heard good things about this one ($199) but haven’t personally tried it.
- To use it, gently pull the skin so it’s taut then trace the device over it in lines and patterns illustrated in the booklet.
- I use mine once a week and can really see the cell turnover and feel the baby soft skin.
- I notice my serums and creams absorb better when the skin has been exfoliated.
- If you aren’t ready to invest in the real thing yet, try this at-home system ($15.99) that really helps boost circulation while it exfoliates.
- If you aren’t feeling handhelds and want a really powerful microscrub that won’t damage your skin, this one ($$) and this one ($) are my favorites.
ANTI-ACNE LED LIGHTS
- Since LED lights have been used on skin (blue lights for anti-acne and red lights for anti-aging) for over a decade now, there have been enough studies done that show they really do work. Earlier this year I created tutorials on blue-light handhelds and red-light handhelds, and now I’m excited to share my latest discovery, LED masks! So you don’t have to hold something up to your skin. I’ve had both kind of facials, one where the facialist placed a red light mask over my face and left the room for 20 minutes and another where she traced a red light handheld all over my skin for twenty minutes. Both times I left with amazing results!
- I used this anti-acne light therapy mask ($29.99) on Rachel above because it’s affordable (comes with a 30-use cartridge) and I love there’s a slit for your eyes to stay open and stay connected on your phone the whole time! If acne isn’t an issue for you but you want to fight fine lines and wrinkles, try the anti-aging light therapy mask ($29.99). This one doesn’t have the eye slit so that you can use that time to disconnect from the world instead.
- Either with a handheld LED device or a mask, trace it over skin or wear it until they automatically shut off.
- I’ve used my anti-acne mask nightly for 30 days to give it a fair chance and my skin started clearing up after 3 days! I feel like it really calmed everything down so much. Now I wear it every other night or so but it’s up to you!
- Before you ask about the lips sticker above, I put it there (it came with lots of fun stickers to decorate it with) but you don’t have to!
- Remember our series with Dr. Jessica Wu about how much what we eat affects our skin, hair and nails? It’s half of the battle! But unfortunately I have the taste buds of a six year old (don’t ask!) and don’t like a lot of vegetables and can always taste them when I try to disguise them in juices! So beauty powders are a must for me and have come a long way.
- This iconic one ($$$) shown above is my personal favorite because it has peptides, collagen, hyaluronic acid and lipids in it that are proven to make hair shinier, nails stronger and skin more hydrated. I noticed a difference in my skin in three weeks when people started complimenting me how glowy it was. This is a more budget-friendly option ($) but I can’t vouch for the results (let me know if you try it and see a difference).
- I mix the powder with 4-8 ounces of Whole 5 Puree anti-oxidant juice but you can use whichever is your favorite.
- I drink a glass daily and actually look forward to it!