PHOTOS: KRISTIN ESS
We love a good DIY, and we particularly love a DIY that includes flowers. Saw one of these floral ribbons at a retail store the other day. It was way too overpriced for my liking so of course we decided to create a version you can make yourself for about $2. It’s a simple thin ribbon with flowers and a bobby pin attached– not rocket science, but sometimes simple is just prettier. You know we love a flower crown but we’re head over heels for this as a new alternative. Here’s how we made it…
You’ll want to find tiny flowers so the weight doesn’t pull the ribbon. We opted for these 3 types but you can use anything small and lightweight. Two of these were free because they were from my garden and then we purchased one stem of rice flowers from a local flower shop.
- Collect scissors, 1/8″ thin ribbon, your flowers, a single small bobby pin and some thin beading wire.
- Gather a tiny cluster of buds and bind them together using a small piece of your wire. Be sure to tuck the ends of the wire in so they don’t get stuck in your hair.
- You’ll want to wrap a few clusters. 5-6 is plenty.
- Cut 1 yard of ribbon for short to medium hair and 1 1/2 yards for longer hair.
- Tie an extra small bobby pin (they make ones that are shorter than the normal size but if you don’t have that you can use the regular ones.
- Last, attach your flower clusters. We spaced each one out a little differently. Just make sure you put an even weight on each side so the ribbon doesn’t slide over to the heavier side.
Use the bobby pin to secure the ribbon just below your part. This will be such a great look for anyone who plans on hitting Coachella or any music festival for that matter! If you make one and wear it, don’t forget to tag us @thebeautydept on instagram! We would love to see yours.