TUTORIAL + PHOTOGRAPHY BY AMY NADINE, GRAPHIC DESIGN BY EUNICE CHUN
We use an shadow primer to make our eyeshadow show up more, we prime our faces under foundation, so why don’t we prime our lips when we want our lipstick to really pop? Some of us have barely any pigmentation in our lips, making every lipstick look almost the same as it does in the tube. But many of us have a lot of pigmentation in our lips, making the lipstick look completely different on then it looks on the back of our hands or in the tube. That’s where a primer comes in! Before primers, we used to just go over our lip area with foundation. But foundation isn’t formulated for the lips and these primers are. Here’s how:
- Cargo HD Picture Perfect Lip Primer — This one really extends the life of your lipstick while conditioning the lips.
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer — This one is super conditioning and 100% vegan but doesn’t combat pigmentation. I just wanted to include it for the girls who don’t have to worry about pigmentation but want to prep their lips with the most moisturizing primer out there.
- Stila Lush Lips Water Plumping Primer — I love this one because not only does it neutralize pigmentation, it leaves a conditioning shield that locks in moisture.
- NYX Lip Primer — This one is awesome because it ensures the lipstick won’t “bleed” or travel outside the lip line.
- E.L.F. Studio Lip Primer & Plumper — I love this one because one side has cinnamon to plump while the other side locks in the color so it won’t smudge and lasts longer. And the price is amazing!
- Apply the primer all over the lip area like you would apply a lipstick or lip gloss.
- Follow with your favorite bright lipstick and notice the difference!! It will be much truer to the color in the tube.
For those of you asking about the lipstick color that I used on Charlene above, it’s this one in Coachella Coral!