As amazing as Summer is, it can be pretty damaging to our skin, even if you wear SPF 50, sit under an umbrella with sunglasses and a hat on! Freckles multiply (welcome to my life!), sun spots get darker, melasma spreads and an accidental afternoon with no sun protection leaves you with a sunburn followed by peeling. So today I’m asking you to make a plan to undo it all! There are short term solutions (perfect if you have a date tonight!) that surfacely shed the dead skin and plump, making your skin gorgeous and renewed, and there are long term solutions that actually lighten and brighten the dark spots. These are my tippy-top three favorites: READ MORE…
This is for those of you who are curious about going more natural or organic. I’m not claiming to be an expert; I’m just like you, wading through unchartered waters and sifting through the countless new products that keep popping up in this new and growing field. I’ll admit though that I have a slight advantage because I get a box on my doorstep every week from companies wanting me to try theirs! So after a year of trying them out on myself and on my clients, I’m bringing you my favorite natural cleanser, mask, blemish lotion, serum, moisturizing balm, foundation and mineral BB cream! They range in prices ($14.99 for the serum to $130 for the repairing balm) making them a little more expensive than what we’re used to paying for each, but that’s only because they use actual flowers, herbs, minerals and plants instead of less expensive chemicals. So one way to look at it is we’re letting our dollar be our voice… the more natural products sell in the marketplace, the more companies will see the demand for them and we’ll see a shift that will eventually result in lower prices. READ MORE…
- GOLD FEATHER HAIR CLIP – Lately we’ve been so into the half up/half down do’s and this gorgeous gold feather gives us even more of a reason to keep that obsession going. Also, here is a much less expensive DIY version made from gold leather!
- LEATHER LIPS MAKEUP POUCH – Can you actually have too many makeup pouches? The answer is no.
- ORIBE MOUSSES – Just when you think Oribe products couldn’t be any more perfect, this happens. He recently launched 3 new mousses– one is volumizing, one is for enhancing natural curls and one is for beachy hair. Anything Oribe says about beach hair we will listen to as you may know we’re obsessed with his Apres Beach spray.
- AMERICAN APPAREL SHEER POLISHES – Look at this gorgeousness of these sheer polishes. These have been around for a while, but we’re really obsessed with the layering technique as we fade from summer to fall.
- HARRY JOSH BLOWDRYER – One of the things that bothers me the most about blowdryers is how “utilitarian” they look in your sparkly bathroom. Not only is this dryer equipped to dry your hair 60% faster than other dryers, but it’s CUTE as a button with it’s matte mint exterior and handmade. It’s an investment but it seems like it will stand the test of time. Save your dollars for this gem.
- GHD PRETTY PASTEL FLAT IRON – Speaking of pretty pastel hair tools, GHD has created a new batch (limited edition) of my favorite flat iron inspired by retro candy shoppe colors. I love my black one for the salon and my kit but if I were going to get one for my bathroom at home I’d definitely grab this one.
- COLLECTION OF EYELINERS – Sometimes Sephora just gets it! In this box, they’ve compliled their most popular eyeliners. This is a dream gift for anyone who wants to learn the classic cat eye or anyone on a mission to figure out which liner is best for a smoky eye. They’ve put every option in this box and it couldn’t be cooler (or cheaper at $30!!)
- NAIL DECALS – If you’re bored with the intricate painting of nail art, no sweat! Try these cute little nail decals by Sara M. Lyons! She’s on Etsy and creates wayyyy too many fun decals to count.
- BUNNY MIRROR – Just a sucker for a white rabbit.
Finding a fragrance that’s right for you can be a rather overwhelming process– especially if you walk into a department store and mulitple sales people start attacking you with bottles. Today we’re going to talk about how to get the most out of scent shopping. I want to share a few tips and tricks that I’ve learned along the way that can help narrow down your choices.
- Try to go to a perfumery that specializes in helping you find the right scent. Search your area for a perfumery or apothecary, and if you can’t find one then opt for the nearest department store. It’s worth searching for one because the people who work in a perfumery or apothecary tend to be very passionate about what they do. You you want that when you invest in an expensive bottle of bliss! I go to Scent Bar in LA which is part of LuckyScent.com. I love walking in there because these people know their stuff. If you go, look for Steven Gontarsky– this man has got all your answers. He’ll ask you some questions about what you typically find yourself attracted to (if you don’t know they’ll help you figure that out, too!) and then he’ll walk you through variations in that fragrance family.
- Steven Says:
“Be open. Some commonly used notes in perfumes come loaded with assumptions (old ladies wear roses, hippies wear patchouli, musk is dirty). Perfumery is a complex and subtle art. One material used in one way will not even slightly resemble the same material used in another composition. Forget what you think you know and let yourself get lost in the smell.”
- Use the little paper tabs that are provided. It’s of course important to spray a perfume on your skin, but until you find one you’re really excited about and potentially want to purchase, you should only spray the tabs. When you spray the perfume on the tabs, avoid making contact with your nose. The scent will stay on your skin as you’re smelling every other fragrance.
- Learn about different notes! Everyone’s body chemistry is a little different so you can’t make a general statement about top, middle + base notes but… Typically the top note is the first thing you smell when you spray or dab perfume on the skin. It lasts about 5-15 short minutes so enjoy it! Next you’ll get the middle or “heart” notes which last about 30-45 minutes. Middle notes are intended to mask base notes that can sometimes be unpleasant alone or if they haven’t had time to settle in. Then the base notes which is what gives a fragrance it’s depth.
- Don’t smell coffee beans, smell you. I was always taught that smelling coffee beans between perfumes was a bad idea. I was taught that the best way to neutralize your nose was to smell your own bare skin. Sounds silly, but I typically turn my head and smell the skin near my shoulder because I don’t wear perfume there. It actually works and coffee beans just tend to confuse my nose.
- Find your family. The list below will help you identify your favorite fragrance families. It’s good to know this when you walk in to talk with someone.