As you may know by now, Pretty Little Liars took home a People’s Choice Award this week! A mega congrats to them. HOORAY! In addition to that mega-honor, this epic TEEN VOGUE article says that Lucy also won the short haired updo game! We were overly excited to hear that because we put a whole lot of love into this updo. What most people may not know is that it was POURING rain in LA on Wednesday so we had to do something that would work with the weather. (Side note: that’s something I’ve learned along the way– my hairspray is not stronger than mother nature, so come up with a plan that leans her way!) This updo would be gorgeous whether it’s raining or not but the glowy texture really works with humidity and just ends up feeling neo-romantic. Okay, here are some tips, tricks and steps we took to get Lucy’s chin length bob into this braided updo…
This tutorial is directed at shorter lengths, so the struggle will be less real if your hair is a bit longer, but you can still follow these same steps.
- Start with wet hair. Biggest surprise might be that we never blew her hair out. When Lucy’s hair was wet, I added in a light layer of this GEL SERUM and followed by a light layer of STYLING CREAM.
- Next we side parted her hair so we could get the braid to sweep across the hairline. You get more braid visibility in the front when you side part!
- While the hair was still damp, I braided it across the hairline first, stopping in the back near the occipital bone (that’s the little bone you can feel in the back of your head). I tied it off with one of these tiny ELASTICS.
- Next I braided the other side until it met the first braid in the back center. BTW, these are regular french braids, not inside-out or dutch braids. The whole thing will seem kind of tight and not as fun at first, but don’t worry! It will get fun.
- After your braids meet in back, the hair underneath should be nearly dry.
- I shook a little TEXTURE POWDER on the shorter hairs, twisted them and pinned them up. The TEXTURE POWDER is KEY. I would seriously struggle with getting a short bob to stay if I didn’t have this powder and you likely will, too. The grit that comes from this powder helps the bobbypins stay put and keeps the hair from slipping. That stuff is essential in pulling this off.
- Last, I went around loosening the braid. This is where we tend to have the most fun with this look. I pull on each individual loop and then pull little bits out to add that glowy halo effect. Use your own judgement based on your hair type. You can use a STRONG HOLD hairspray at the end if you want. I used it because RAIN. Serious RAIN.
And let’s not forget this glowy victorian glam makeup by my girl, @KDeenihan! More info on that look right HERE!
I know bob babes may not believe they can do this, but I promise you can with a little texture powder, strong bobbypins and patience! Also, can you believe, not a single heat styling tool was used in creating this look!? So fun! xx
Clutch the pearls, girls!! As you may know, we’re always on the hunt for new hair accessories. We live for a good trend but we also get down with the stand-alone classic! (Remember THIS ONE!?) Pearls are clearly a classic but we’re finding that they’re having a big moment right now and wanted share some of our current faves!
- THE PEARL PONY. Dresses up a simple outfit in a classic way.
- DOUBLE STRAND PEARL/STAR HEADBAND. So gorgeous. You could definitely see this on a maid-of-honor.
- PEARL VINE HEADBAND. And then of course, this on a bride!
- PEARL BOBBYPINS (ASSORTED SIZES). Love this set of four! So great for placing randomly in a chignon or braid.
- TINY LEAF COMBS. Dresses up a messy bun in under two minutes! I know these aren’t pearl but they made it into the accessory report anyway! So dainty.
- SINLGE PEARL FRENCH PIN. This is my FAVORITE of all of these. So simple and extremely chic.
- PEARL TRIO. (PS, this set is on saaaaale!)
- BRANCH BOBBIES. These would be amazing for an outdoor winter wedding!
PHOTO/POST/GRAPHIC DESIGN: KRISTIN ESS
It’s that time of year again! The holiday messes have been swept up and now hair and makeup glam squads everywhere prepare to work overtime because it’s award season!!!! It wouldn’t be fair if all you beauties at home couldn’t play along so I thought it might be fun to incorporate some red carpet classics this month on TBD! These tutorials will be timeless, not trendy. These will be hairstyles that you can use for many years to come. When I have a client attending a major award show, I try to think about what will still look great when we look back at photos years from now. So let’s dive into the first one: The Classic Chignon Tutorial!
Prep: We wanted a smooth chignon, but just so you know, this could be done with waves or curls as well! To start, we applied a little STYLING CREAM to damp hair and then used a LARGE IBIZA ROUND BRUSH to smooth.
The only hairspray we used throughout this tutorial was THIS ONE. The reason I love this spray for looks like this is because it never ever gets sticky. You can keep piling it on and brushing through. It holds softly but securely and gives shine. I’m not the biggest fan of the smell but it goes away quickly and doesn’t linger.
- Put all of your hair into a tight/smooth ponytail at the nape of your neck. You can use a regular ponytail holder or a SMALL CLEAR ELASTIC. (ps: these are my favorite elastics. they’re a little more expensive but they’re softer and don’t pull my hair out!)
- Using a 1 1/4″ HOT TOOLS SPRING IRON, curl the ends under. This is going to help your hair wrap around itself and stay put!
- Next, split your ponytail into two sections (upper and lower). Tease the lower section lightly to give your hair more volume for a fuller chignon.
- Take another SMALL CLEAR ELASTIC and do a half loop with your ponytail, leaving the tail out. (Tip: You don’t need to secure this second elastic more than once. It’s small and when you create your half loop it should be pretty tight already.)
- Take the tail and wrap it around the base of the ponytail. Pin that underneath using large bobby pins. (Tip: If you need to, you can tease the tail lightly before wrapping it around the base. Then smooth lightly after secured!)
Hope you enjoy this classic look and I hope this tutorial comes in handy the next time you have a big event to attend! Any other specific classic red carpet requests? Is there a celebrity who’s hair has been stuck in your mind since they walked a particular carpet?? Tell me in the comments (and try to post a photo of it!) and maybe we can break it down for you!
POST BY AMY NADINE, GRAPHIC DESIGN BY EUNICE CHUN
Every November I start sifting through all of the holiday gift sets. Obviously, it’s one of my most favorite pastimes! Then I narrow it down to the best of the best and start my holiday shopping. Naturally as I’m curating, I always find a couple of gems that find a home in my vanity no matter how hard I try to gift them!! Anyway, let me be your Santa’s helper and share my favorites:
FOR YOUR SISTER: Not sure if Charlotte knew these were my three favorite shades, but I squealed when I got my hands on (1) this mini set of lipsticks in Penelope Pink, Bitch Perfect and So Marilyn, and so will your sister! She’ll also love (2) this gorgeous set of ten mini polishes and its adorable presentation if she’s especially girlie.
FOR YOUR BESTIE: She will love (1) this Tarteist contour palette because it literally is a paint-by-numbers slenderizing genius and has shades for all skin tones. She will also die for (2) this scrumptious, high pigment, high gloss set in the prettiest shades ever.
FOR YOUR MOTHER: If your mom is anything like my mom, she is a fanatic about hand cream. So I know she will love (1) this limited set of 5 greatest hits that she can keep all over the house, in the car and in her handbag! Also, your mom probably doesn’t know about (2) this magic in a bottle and will forever thank you for introducing her to it. You can get the smaller one and she can buy the bigger one for herself when she becomes a convert. It keeps her skin ultra-hydrated and she’ll get complimented all day long that she’s glowing. Just be prepared to want to borrow it constantly!
FOR YOURSELF: It’s hard to believe that Viktor & Rolf’s Flowerbomb came on the scene ten years ago and the best way to celebrate is with (1) this truly-special piece-of-art limited edition bottle. It makes your bathroom so feminine and smells divine. And (2) this Parisian-inspired limited edition palette is just too hard to not keep for yourself! It has 18 of my favorite eye shadows, Better Than Sex mascara, my favorite eye shadow primer, a pretty pink longwear liquified lipstick, two bronzers, a blush and a highlighter for a ridiculously-low price.
So now that you know mine, what are yours? Please share any gift sets or limited edition palettes or cult favorites in the comments below!