post designed by kristin ess
Listen up sun bunnies! When you know you’re going to be laying out + getting some sun (drenched in sunscreen of course) use your time wisely! Shampoo your hair before you lay out and then apply a deep conditioner, but don’t rinse it out. Brush your hair out and put it in a bun. The heat from the sun will warm up the conditioner and allow it to really get in there.
photo: kristin ess + thebeautydepartment.com post designed by kristin ess
Today’s hair post is quite simple but a very valuable one, nonetheless. It’s pretty safe to say that “over styling” is the number one hair crime in my book and we should all know what to do when we’ve simply taken curling or flat ironing too far. Let’s say you’re styling your hair with the curling iron, curling wand or the flat iron, and you get to a point where it just won’t do what you’re wanting it to. STOP. PLEASE. Don’t keep going! It is vital at this point to put some moisture back inside the hair before you go at it again. When you curl or flat iron, that steam that comes out is the hair’s internal moisture. You’re sucking it dry when you go over it repeatedly. You must put moisture back in there in order for it to cooperate! You can’t curl hay!! Grab a water bottle and lightly mist the area that won’t cooperate. Don’t soak it, just misting it is fine. Let it air dry and then come back to it. It’s like getting a second chance! This actually changed my hair game and I hope it helps with yours!
P.S: The Evian bottle in the image above is the one I always use because it has a really fine, even mist. A regular spray bottle works just fine as long as the spray isn’t too heavy.
photo: kristin ess/pygmyhipposhoppe.com/aoutrametadedemim.tumblr.com post designed by kristin ess
Well, this is about to get FUN! I don’t know about you lovelies, but I enjoy a little friendly competition every now and then. I’m thinking it’s about time to feature one of your beautiful faces (and heads of hair) on here! Get your cameras out and get your ideas flowing, my friends. The idea is to create your own hair tutorial and then email it to me. Who ever comes up with the best all-around hair tutorial will be getting the first guest spot on The Beauty Department. Your tutorial can be as glamorous or as casual as you’d like. Get creative! Below are the requirements + details:
- Your tutorial must include 4-10 visibly clear photos (any size) + step by step instructions on how to execute the look. The photos should be plain, without graphics.
- The person in the photo must be doing the tutorial on their own hair!
- You will be judged on the your originality, technical skills, how easy your instructions are to follow, and the over-all look.
- Entries must be received by Friday, July 29, 2011 @ 11:59pm pacific standard time.
- All of the photos should be individually attached in ONE email. Number each photo. Write instructions for each photo. No need make the photos into a blog post… we’ll do that for you if you win!
- Email all entries to KE@TheBeautyDepartment.com
- One entry per person.
- Please include your name and your proper return email address so we can notify you if you win.
Who will be picking the winner? The three of us, of course! I will be judging your originality + skills, Amy Nadine will be testing it out to see how easy your instructions are to follow, and Lauren will be judging the over-all look.
How exciting! You have t-minus 2 weeks! Let’s see what you’ve got!!
Xx Kristin Ess